Thursday, April 19 / May 2, 2002: Holy Thursday: Jeremiah 11:18-12:5,9-11,14-15,Exodus 19:10-19,Job 38:1-23,42:1-5,Isa 50:4-11, Matt 26:1-20,John 13:3-17,Matt 26:21-39,Luke 22:43-45,Matt 26:40-27:2

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2002
      passage: Jeremiah 11:18-12:5

      Chapter 11

      And the LORD hath given me knowledge of it, and I know it: then thou
      shewedst me their doings. But I was like a lamb or an ox that is
      brought to the slaughter; and I knew not that they had devised devices
      against me, saying, Let us destroy the tree with the fruit thereof,
      and let us cut him off from the land of the living, that his name may
      be no more remembered. But, O LORD of hosts, that judgest righteously,
      that triest the reins and the heart, let me see thy vengeance on them:
      for unto thee have I revealed my cause. Therefore thus saith the LORD
      of the men of Anathoth, that seek thy life, saying, Prophesy not in the
      name of the LORD, that thou die not by our hand: Therefore thus saith
      the LORD of hosts, Behold, I will punish them: the young men shall
      die by the sword; their sons and their daughters shall die by famine:
      And there shall be no remnant of them: for I will bring evil upon the
      men of Anathoth, even the year of their visitation.

      Chapter 12

      Righteous art thou, O LORD, when I plead with thee: yet let me talk
      with thee of thy judgments: Wherefore doth the way of the wicked
      prosper? wherefore are all they happy that deal very treacherously?
      Thou hast planted them, yea, they have taken root: they grow, yea,
      they bring forth fruit: thou art near in their mouth, and far from
      their reins. But thou, O LORD, knowest me: thou hast seen me, and tried
      mine heart toward thee: pull them out like sheep for the slaughter, and
      prepare them for the day of slaughter. How long shall the land mourn,
      and the herbs of every field wither, for the wickedness of them that
      dwell therein? the beasts are consumed, and the birds; because they said,
      He shall not see our last end. If thou hast run with the footmen, and
      they have wearied thee, then how canst thou contend with horses? and
      if in the land of peace, wherein thou trustedst, they wearied thee,
      then how wilt thou do in the swelling of Jordan?

      passage: Jeremiah 11:9-11:11

      Chapter 11

      And the LORD said unto me, A conspiracy is found among the men of Judah,
      and among the inhabitants of Jerusalem. They are turned back to the
      iniquities of their forefathers, which refused to hear my words; and
      they went after other gods to serve them: the house of Israel and the
      house of Judah have broken my covenant which I made with their fathers.
      Therefore thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will bring evil upon them,
      which they shall not be able to escape; and though they shall cry unto
      me, I will not hearken unto them.

      passage: Jeremiah 11:14-11:15

      Therefore pray not thou for this people, neither lift up a cry or
      prayer for them: for I will not hear them in the time that they cry
      unto me for their trouble. What hath my beloved to do in mine house,
      seeing she hath wrought lewdness with many, and the holy flesh is passed
      from thee? when thou doest evil, then thou rejoicest.

      passage: Exodus 19:10-19:19

      Chapter 19

      And the LORD said unto Moses, Go unto the people, and sanctify them
      to day and to morrow, and let them wash their clothes, And be ready
      against the third day: for the third day the LORD will come down in
      the sight of all the people upon mount Sinai. And thou shalt set
      bounds unto the people round about, saying, Take heed to yourselves,
      that ye go not up into the mount, or touch the border of it: whosoever
      toucheth the mount shall be surely put to death: There shall not an hand
      touch it, but he shall surely be stoned, or shot through; whether it be
      beast or man, it shall not live: when the trumpet soundeth long, they
      shall come up to the mount. And Moses went down from the mount unto
      the people, and sanctified the people; and they washed their clothes.
      And he said unto the people, Be ready against the third day: come not
      at your wives. And it came to pass on the third day in the morning,
      that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the
      mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the
      people that was in the camp trembled. And Moses brought forth the
      people out of the camp to meet with God; and they stood at the nether
      part of the mount. And mount Sinai was altogether on a smoke, because
      the LORD descended upon it in fire: and the smoke thereof ascended as
      the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mount quaked greatly. And when
      the voice of the trumpet sounded long, and waxed louder and louder,
      Moses spake, and God answered him by a voice.

      passage: Job 38:1-38:23

      Chapter 38

      Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said, Who is
      this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge? Gird up now
      thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.
      Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare,
      if thou hast understanding. Who hath laid the measures thereof, if
      thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? Whereupon are
      the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
      When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted
      for joy? Or who shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, as
      if it had issued out of the womb? When I made the cloud the garment
      thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it, And brake up for
      it my decreed place, and set bars and doors, And said, Hitherto shalt
      thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed?
      Hast thou commanded the morning since thy days; and caused the dayspring
      to know his place; That it might take hold of the ends of the earth,
      that the wicked might be shaken out of it? It is turned as clay to the
      seal; and they stand as a garment. And from the wicked their light is
      withholden, and the high arm shall be broken. Hast thou entered into
      the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth?
      Have the gates of death been opened unto thee? or hast thou seen the
      doors of the shadow of death? Hast thou perceived the breadth of the
      earth? declare if thou knowest it all. Where is the way where light
      dwelleth? and as for darkness, where is the place thereof, That thou
      shouldest take it to the bound thereof, and that thou shouldest know the
      paths to the house thereof? Knowest thou it, because thou wast then
      born? or because the number of thy days is great? Hast thou entered
      into the treasures of the snow? or hast thou seen the treasures of the
      hail, Which I have reserved against the time of trouble, against the
      day of battle and war?

      passage: Job 42:1-42:5

      Chapter 42

      Then Job answered the LORD, and said, I know that thou canst do every
      thing, and that no thought can be withholden from thee. Who is he
      that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I
      understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not. Hear,
      I beseech thee, and I will speak: I will demand of thee, and declare
      thou unto me. I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now
      mine eye seeth thee.

      passage: Isa 50:4-50:11

      Chapter 50

      The Lord GOD hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know
      how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning
      by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned. The Lord GOD
      hath opened mine ear, and I was not rebellious, neither turned away back.
      I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off
      the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting. For the Lord
      GOD will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded: therefore have
      I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed.
      He is near that justifieth me; who will contend with me? let us stand
      together: who is mine adversary? let him come near to me. Behold,
      the Lord GOD will help me; who is he that shall condemn me? lo, they
      all shall wax old as a garment; the moth shall eat them up. Who is
      among you that feareth the LORD, that obeyeth the voice of his servant,
      that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name
      of the LORD, and stay upon his God. Behold, all ye that kindle a fire,
      that compass yourselves about with sparks: walk in the light of your
      fire, and in the sparks that ye have kindled. This shall ye have of
      mine hand; ye shall lie down in sorrow.

      And it came to pass, when Jesus had finished all these sayings, he
      said unto his disciples, Ye know that after two days is the feast
      of the passover, and the Son of man is betrayed to be crucified.
      Then assembled together the chief priests, and the scribes, and the
      elders of the people, unto the palace of the high priest, who was
      called Caiaphas, And consulted that they might take Jesus by subtilty,
      and kill him. But they said, Not on the feast day, lest there be an
      uproar among the people. Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of
      Simon the leper, There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of
      very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat.
      But when his disciples saw it, they had indignation, saying, To what
      purpose is this waste? For this ointment might have been sold for much,
      and given to the poor. When Jesus understood it, he said unto them,
      Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me.
      For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always.
      For in that she hath poured this ointment on my body, she did it for
      my burial. Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be
      preached in the whole world, there shall also this, that this woman
      hath done, be told for a memorial of her. Then one of the twelve,
      called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests, And said unto
      them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they
      covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver. And from that time he
      sought opportunity to betray him. Now the first day of the feast of
      unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where
      wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover? And he said,
      Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My
      time is at hand; I will keep the passover at thy house with my disciples.
      And the disciples did as Jesus had appointed them; and they made ready
      the passover. Now when the even was come, he sat down with the twelve.

      Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands,
      and that he was come from God, and went to God; He riseth from supper,
      and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.
      After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the
      disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.
      Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost
      thou wash my feet? Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou
      knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter. Peter saith unto him,
      Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not,
      thou hast no part with me. Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my
      feet only, but also my hands and my head. Jesus saith to him, He that
      is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit:
      and ye are clean, but not all. For he knew who should betray him;
      therefore said he, Ye are not all clean. So after he had washed their
      feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto
      them, Know ye what I have done to you? Ye call me Master and Lord:
      and ye say well; for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Master, have
      washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. For I
      have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
      Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his
      lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. If ye
      know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

      And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you
      shall betray me. And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every
      one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I? And he answered and said,
      He that dippeth his hand with me in the dish, the same shall betray me.
      The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by
      whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he
      had not been born. Then Judas, which betrayed him, answered and said,
      Master, is it I? He said unto him, Thou hast said. And as they were
      eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to
      the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. And he took the
      cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
      For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the
      remission of sins. But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of
      this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my
      Father's kingdom. And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the
      mount of Olives. Then saith Jesus unto them, All ye shall be offended
      because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd,
      and the sheep of the flock shall be scattered abroad. But after I
      am risen again, I will go before you into Galilee. Peter answered
      and said unto him, Though all men shall be offended because of thee,
      yet will I never be offended. Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto
      thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
      Peter said unto him, Though I should die with thee, yet will I not deny
      thee. Likewise also said all the disciples. Then cometh Jesus with
      them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples,
      Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder. And he took with him Peter
      and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy.
      Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death:
      tarry ye here, and watch with me. And he went a little farther, and
      fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible,
      let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

      And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.
      And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it
      were great drops of blood falling down to the ground. And when he rose
      up from prayer, and was come to his disciples, he found them sleeping
      for sorrow,

      And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith
      unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray,
      that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but
      the flesh is weak. He went away again the second time, and prayed,
      saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I
      drink it, thy will be done. And he came and found them asleep again:
      for their eyes were heavy. And he left them, and went away again,
      and prayed the third time, saying the same words. Then cometh he to
      his disciples, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest:
      behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of man is betrayed into the
      hands of sinners. Rise, let us be going: behold, he is at hand that doth
      betray me. And while he yet spake, lo, Judas, one of the twelve, came,
      and with him a great multitude with swords and staves, from the chief
      priests and elders of the people. Now he that betrayed him gave them a
      sign, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he: hold him fast.
      And forthwith he came to Jesus, and said, Hail, master; and kissed him.
      And Jesus said unto him, Friend, wherefore art thou come? Then came they,
      and laid hands on Jesus and took him. And, behold, one of them which
      were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck
      a servant of the high priest's, and smote off his ear. Then said Jesus
      unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take
      the sword shall perish with the sword. Thinkest thou that I cannot
      now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve
      legions of angels? But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled,
      that thus it must be? In that same hour said Jesus to the multitudes,
      Are ye come out as against a thief with swords and staves for to take
      me? I sat daily with you teaching in the temple, and ye laid no hold
      on me. But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets
      might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.
      And they that had laid hold on Jesus led him away to Caiaphas the high
      priest, where the scribes and the elders were assembled. But Peter
      followed him afar off unto the high priest's palace, and went in,
      and sat with the servants, to see the end. Now the chief priests,
      and elders, and all the council, sought false witness against Jesus,
      to put him to death; But found none: yea, though many false witnesses
      came, yet found they none. At the last came two false witnesses, And
      said, This fellow said, I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to
      build it in three days. And the high priest arose, and said unto him,
      Answerest thou nothing? what is it which these witness against thee?
      But Jesus held his peace, And the high priest answered and said unto
      him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou
      be the Christ, the Son of God. Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said:
      nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man
      sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.
      Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy;
      what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his
      blasphemy. What think ye? They answered and said, He is guilty of death.
      Then did they spit in his face, and buffeted him; and others smote him
      with the palms of their hands, Saying, Prophesy unto us, thou Christ,
      Who is he that smote thee? Now Peter sat without in the palace: and
      a damsel came unto him, saying, Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee.
      But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what thou sayest.
      And when he was gone out into the porch, another maid saw him, and said
      unto them that were there, This fellow was also with Jesus of Nazareth.
      And again he denied with an oath, I do not know the man. And after
      a while came unto him they that stood by, and said to Peter, Surely
      thou also art one of them; for thy speech bewrayeth thee. Then began
      he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately
      the cock crew. And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto
      him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out,
      and wept bitterly.

      Chapter 27

      When the morning was come, all the chief priests and elders of the people
      took counsel against Jesus to put him to death: And when they had bound
      him, they led him away, and delivered him to Pontius Pilate the governor.