Thursday, December 21 2001 / January 3, 2002: James 1:19-27, Mark 10:17-27

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2002
      passage: James 1:19-1:27

      Chapter 1

      Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear,
      slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the
      righteousness of God. Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity
      of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is
      able to save your souls. But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers
      only, deceiving your own selves. For if any be a hearer of the word,
      and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in
      a glass: For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway
      forgetteth what manner of man he was. But whoso looketh into the perfect
      law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer,
      but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed. If any
      man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but
      deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain. Pure religion and
      undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and
      widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

      And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and
      kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I
      may inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou
      me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. Thou knowest the
      commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do
      not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.
      And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed
      from my youth. Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him,
      One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give
      to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up
      the cross, and follow me. And he was sad at that saying, and went away
      grieved: for he had great possessions. And Jesus looked round about,
      and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches
      enter into the kingdom of God! And the disciples were astonished at
      his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children,
      how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom
      of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle,
      than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. And they were
      astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be
      saved? And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible,
      but not with God: for with God all things are possible.