Friday, September 14/27, 2013: The Exaltation of the Precious and Life-Giving Cross: 1Cor 1:18-24, John 19:6-11,13-20,25-28,30-35

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2013

      For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but
      unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written,
      I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing
      the understanding of the prudent. Where is the wise? where is the
      scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish
      the wisdom of this world? For after that in the wisdom of God the
      world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of
      preaching to save them that believe. For the Jews require a sign,
      and the Greeks seek after wisdom: But we preach Christ crucified, unto
      the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; But unto
      them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God,
      and the wisdom of God.

      When the chief priests therefore and officers saw him, they cried out,
      saying, Crucify him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Take ye him,
      and crucify him: for I find no fault in him. The Jews answered him, We
      have a law, and by our law he ought to die, because he made himself the
      Son of God. When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he was the more
      afraid; And went again into the judgment hall, and saith unto Jesus,
      Whence art thou? But Jesus gave him no answer. Then saith Pilate unto
      him, Speakest thou not unto me? knowest thou not that I have power to
      crucify thee, and have power to release thee? Jesus answered, Thou
      couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from
      above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

      passage: John 19:13-19:20

      When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he brought Jesus forth, and
      sat down in the judgment seat in a place that is called the Pavement,
      but in the Hebrew, Gabbatha. And it was the preparation of the passover,
      and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!
      But they cried out, Away with him, away with him, crucify him. Pilate
      saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King? The chief priests answered,
      We have no king but Caesar. Then delivered he him therefore unto
      them to be crucified. And they took Jesus, and led him away. And he
      bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull,
      which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha: Where they crucified him,
      and two other with him, on either side one, and Jesus in the midst.
      And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was
      JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS. This title then read many of
      the Jews: for the place where Jesus was crucified was nigh to the city:
      and it was written in Hebrew, and Greek, and Latin.

      passage: John 19:25-19:28

      Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's
      sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus
      therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved,
      he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! Then saith he to the
      disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her
      unto his own home. After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now
      accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.

      passage: John 19:30-19:35

      When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished:
      and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost. The Jews therefore,
      because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon
      the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,)
      besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be
      taken away. Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first,
      and of the other which was crucified with him. But when they came to
      Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs: But
      one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came
      there out blood and water. And he that saw it bare record, and his
      record is true: and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe.