Sunday, June 3/16, 2013: Sunday of the Fathers of the First Ecumenical Council: Acts 20:16-18, 28-36, John 17:1-13

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2013

      For Paul had determined to sail by Ephesus, because he would not spend
      the time in Asia: for he hasted, if it were possible for him, to be at
      Jerusalem the day of Pentecost. And from Miletus he sent to Ephesus,
      and called the elders of the church. And when they were come to him,
      he said unto them, Ye know, from the first day that I came into Asia,
      after what manner I have been with you at all seasons,

      passage: Acts 20:28-20:36

      Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the
      which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of
      God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. For I know this,
      that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not
      sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking
      perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. Therefore watch,
      and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn
      every one night and day with tears. And now, brethren, I commend you
      to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and
      to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. I have
      coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel. Yea, ye yourselves know,
      that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that
      were with me. I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye
      ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus,
      how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive. And when he
      had thus spoken, he kneeled down, and prayed with them all.

      These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said,
      Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify
      thee: As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should
      give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him. And this is life
      eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ,
      whom thou hast sent. I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished
      the work which thou gavest me to do. And now, O Father, glorify thou
      me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the
      world was. I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest
      me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they
      have kept thy word. Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou
      hast given me are of thee. For I have given unto them the words which
      thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that
      I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.
      I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast
      given me; for they are thine. And all mine are thine, and thine are
      mine; and I am glorified in them. And now I am no more in the world,
      but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through
      thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as
      we are. While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name:
      those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but
      the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled. And now
      come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might
      have my joy fulfilled in themselves.