Friday, January 5/18, 2013: The Eve of Holy Theophany: 1Cor 9:19-27, Luke 3:1-18

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2013

      For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto
      all, that I might gain the more. And unto the Jews I became as a Jew,
      that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under
      the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; To them that
      are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but
      under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
      To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made
      all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. And this
      I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.
      Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth
      the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. And every man that striveth
      for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a
      corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. I therefore so run, not as
      uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: But I keep
      under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means,
      when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

      Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate
      being governor of Judaea, and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, and his
      brother Philip tetrarch of Ituraea and of the region of Trachonitis,
      and Lysanias the tetrarch of Abilene, Annas and Caiaphas being the high
      priests, the word of God came unto John the son of Zacharias in the
      wilderness. And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching
      the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins; As it is written
      in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of
      one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make
      his paths straight. Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain
      and hill shall be brought low; and the crooked shall be made straight,
      and the rough ways shall be made smooth; And all flesh shall see the
      salvation of God. Then said he to the multitude that came forth to be
      baptized of him, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from
      the wrath to come? Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance,
      and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father:
      for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children
      unto Abraham. And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees:
      every tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down,
      and cast into the fire. And the people asked him, saying, What shall
      we do then? He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats,
      let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do
      likewise. Then came also publicans to be baptized, and said unto him,
      Master, what shall we do? And he said unto them, Exact no more than
      that which is appointed you. And the soldiers likewise demanded of him,
      saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to
      no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.
      And as the people were in expectation, and all men mused in their
      hearts of John, whether he were the Christ, or not; John answered,
      saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier
      than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose:
      he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire: Whose fan is
      in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the
      wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.
      And many other things in his exhortation preached he unto the people.