Thursday, November 30 / December 13, 2012: Titus 1:5-2:1, Luke 20:9-18

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2012
      passage: Titus 1:5-2:1

      Chapter 1

      For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order
      the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had
      appointed thee: If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having
      faithful children not accused of riot or unruly. For a bishop must
      be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry,
      not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; But a lover
      of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate;
      Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be
      able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.
      For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they
      of the circumcision: Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole
      houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.
      One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, the Cretians are
      alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies. This witness is true. Wherefore
      rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith; Not giving heed
      to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.
      Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and
      unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is
      defiled. They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him,
      being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

      Chapter 2

      But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:

      Then began he to speak to the people this parable; A certain man
      planted a vineyard, and let it forth to husbandmen, and went into a
      far country for a long time. And at the season he sent a servant to
      the husbandmen, that they should give him of the fruit of the vineyard:
      but the husbandmen beat him, and sent him away empty. And again he sent
      another servant: and they beat him also, and entreated him shamefully,
      and sent him away empty. And again he sent a third: and they wounded
      him also, and cast him out. Then said the lord of the vineyard, What
      shall I do? I will send my beloved son: it may be they will reverence
      him when they see him. But when the husbandmen saw him, they reasoned
      among themselves, saying, This is the heir: come, let us kill him, that
      the inheritance may be ours. So they cast him out of the vineyard, and
      killed him. What therefore shall the lord of the vineyard do unto them?
      He shall come and destroy these husbandmen, and shall give the vineyard
      to others. And when they heard it, they said, God forbid. And he
      beheld them, and said, What is this then that is written, The stone
      which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner?
      Whosoever shall fall upon that stone shall be broken; but on whomsoever
      it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.