Tuesday, July 20 / August 2, 2011: The Holy Prophet Elias: James 5:10-20, Luke 4:22-30

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2011
      passage: James 5:10-5:20

      Chapter 5

      Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the
      Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience. Behold,
      we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job,
      and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of
      tender mercy. But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by
      heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your
      yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation. Is any
      among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.
      Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and
      let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
      And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise
      him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
      Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that
      ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man
      availeth much. Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are,
      and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on
      the earth by the space of three years and six months. And he prayed
      again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.
      Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;

      And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which
      proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph's son?
      And he said unto them, Ye will surely say unto me this proverb,
      Physician, heal thyself: whatsoever we have heard done in Capernaum,
      do also here in thy country. And he said, Verily I say unto you, No
      prophet is accepted in his own country. But I tell you of a truth,
      many widows were in Israel in the days of Elias, when the heaven was
      shut up three years and six months, when great famine was throughout
      all the land; But unto none of them was Elias sent, save unto Sarepta,
      a city of Sidon, unto a woman that was a widow. And many lepers were
      in Israel in the time of Eliseus the prophet; and none of them was
      cleansed, saving Naaman the Syrian. And all they in the synagogue,
      when they heard these things, were filled with wrath, And rose up,
      and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill
      whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down headlong.
      But he passing through the midst of them went his way,