Saturday, April 18 / May 1, 2010: Acts 12:1-11, John 8:31-42

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 9:10 PM

      Now about that time Herod the king stretched forth his hands to
      vex certain of the church. And he killed James the brother of John
      with the sword. And because he saw it pleased the Jews, he proceeded
      further to take Peter also. (Then were the days of unleavened bread.)
      And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered
      him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter
      to bring him forth to the people. Peter therefore was kept in prison:
      but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.
      And when Herod would have brought him forth, the same night Peter was
      sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains: and the keepers
      before the door kept the prison. And, behold, the angel of the Lord
      came upon him, and a light shined in the prison: and he smote Peter on
      the side, and raised him up, saying, Arise up quickly. And his chains
      fell off from his hands. And the angel said unto him, Gird thyself,
      and bind on thy sandals. And so he did. And he saith unto him, Cast thy
      garment about thee, and follow me. And he went out, and followed him;
      and wist not that it was true which was done by the angel; but thought
      he saw a vision. When they were past the first and the second ward,
      they came unto the iron gate that leadeth unto the city; which opened
      to them of his own accord: and they went out, and passed on through
      one street; and forthwith the angel departed from him. And when Peter
      was come to himself, he said, Now I know of a surety, that the LORD
      hath sent his angel, and hath delivered me out of the hand of Herod,
      and from all the expectation of the people of the Jews.

      Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue
      in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the
      truth, and the truth shall make you free. They answered him, We be
      Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou,
      Ye shall be made free? Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto
      you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. And the servant
      abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. If the
      Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. I know that
      ye are Abraham's seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no
      place in you. I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do
      that which ye have seen with your father. They answered and said unto
      him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's
      children, ye would do the works of Abraham. But now ye seek to kill me,
      a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did
      not Abraham. Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We
      be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God. Jesus said
      unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded
      forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.