Friday, March 20 / April 2, 2010: Holy Friday (with the 12 gospels): Exodus 33:11-23,Job 42:12-16,Isa 52:13-54:1,1Cor 1:18-2:2,Matt 27:1-38,Luke 23:39-43, Matt 27:39-54,John 19:31-37,Matt 27:55-61, John 13:31-18:1,John 18:1-28,Matt 26:57-75,John 18:28-19:16,Matt 27:3-32,Mark 15:16-32,Matt 27:33-54,Luke 23:32-49,John 19:25-37,Mark 15:43-47,John 19:38-42,Matt 27:62-66

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 9:10 PM
      passage: Exodus 33:11-33:23

      Chapter 33

      And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his
      friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the
      son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle. And Moses
      said unto the LORD, See, thou sayest unto me, Bring up this people:
      and thou hast not let me know whom thou wilt send with me. Yet thou hast
      said, I know thee by name, and thou hast also found grace in my sight.
      Now therefore, I pray thee, if I have found grace in thy sight, shew me
      now thy way, that I may know thee, that I may find grace in thy sight:
      and consider that this nation is thy people. And he said, My presence
      shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest. And he said unto him,
      If thy presence go not with me, carry us not up hence. For wherein
      shall it be known here that I and thy people have found grace in thy
      sight? is it not in that thou goest with us? so shall we be separated, I
      and thy people, from all the people that are upon the face of the earth.
      And the LORD said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast
      spoken: for thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name.
      And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory. And he said, I will
      make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of
      the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious,
      and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy. And he said, Thou canst
      not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live. And the LORD
      said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:
      And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put
      thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while
      I pass by: And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back
      parts: but my face shall not be seen.

      passage: Job 42:12-42:16

      Chapter 42

      So the LORD blessed the latter end of Job more than his beginning: for
      he had fourteen thousand sheep, and six thousand camels, and a thousand
      yoke of oxen, and a thousand she asses. He had also seven sons and
      three daughters. And he called the name of the first, Jemima; and the
      name of the second, Kezia; and the name of the third, Kerenhappuch.
      And in all the land were no women found so fair as the daughters of
      Job: and their father gave them inheritance among their brethren.
      After this lived Job an hundred and forty years, and saw his sons,
      and his sons' sons, even four generations.

      passage: Isa 52:13-54:1

      Chapter 52

      Behold, my servant shall deal prudently, he shall be exalted and
      extolled, and be very high. As many were astonied at thee; his visage
      was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of
      men: So shall he sprinkle many nations; the kings shall shut their
      mouths at him: for that which had not been told them shall they see;
      and that which they had not heard shall they consider.

      Chapter 53

      Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD
      revealed? For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a
      root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we
      shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. He is
      despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with
      grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and
      we esteemed him not. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our
      sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
      But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our
      iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his
      stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have
      turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the
      iniquity of us all. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he
      opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and
      as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
      He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare
      his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for
      the transgression of my people was he stricken. And he made his grave
      with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no
      violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. Yet it pleased the LORD
      to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul
      an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days,
      and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. He shall see of
      the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall
      my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.
      Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall
      divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul
      unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare
      the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

      Chapter 54

      Sing, O barren, thou that didst not bear; break forth into singing,
      and cry aloud, thou that didst not travail with child: for more are
      the children of the desolate than the children of the married wife,
      saith the LORD.

      For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but
      unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written,
      I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing
      the understanding of the prudent. Where is the wise? where is the
      scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish
      the wisdom of this world? For after that in the wisdom of God the
      world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of
      preaching to save them that believe. For the Jews require a sign, and
      the Greeks seek after wisdom: But we preach Christ crucified, unto the
      Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; But unto them
      which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and
      the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men;
      and the weakness of God is stronger than men. For ye see your calling,
      brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty,
      not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of
      the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things
      of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things
      of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and
      things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh
      should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who
      of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification,
      and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth,
      let him glory in the Lord.

      Chapter 2

      And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech
      or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. For I determined
      not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

      When the morning was come, all the chief priests and elders of the people
      took counsel against Jesus to put him to death: And when they had bound
      him, they led him away, and delivered him to Pontius Pilate the governor.
      Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned,
      repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the
      chief priests and elders, Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed
      the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that.
      And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and
      went and hanged himself. And the chief priests took the silver pieces,
      and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it
      is the price of blood. And they took counsel, and bought with them the
      potter's field, to bury strangers in. Wherefore that field was called,
      The field of blood, unto this day. Then was fulfilled that which was
      spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces
      of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children
      of Israel did value; And gave them for the potter's field, as the Lord
      appointed me. And Jesus stood before the governor: and the governor
      asked him, saying, Art thou the King of the Jews? And Jesus said unto
      him, Thou sayest. And when he was accused of the chief priests and
      elders, he answered nothing. Then said Pilate unto him, Hearest thou
      not how many things they witness against thee? And he answered him
      to never a word; insomuch that the governor marvelled greatly. Now at
      that feast the governor was wont to release unto the people a prisoner,
      whom they would. And they had then a notable prisoner, called Barabbas.
      Therefore when they were gathered together, Pilate said unto them, Whom
      will ye that I release unto you? Barabbas, or Jesus which is called
      Christ? For he knew that for envy they had delivered him. When he
      was set down on the judgment seat, his wife sent unto him, saying, Have
      thou nothing to do with that just man: for I have suffered many things
      this day in a dream because of him. But the chief priests and elders
      persuaded the multitude that they should ask Barabbas, and destroy Jesus.
      The governor answered and said unto them, Whether of the twain will ye
      that I release unto you? They said, Barabbas. Pilate saith unto them,
      What shall I do then with Jesus which is called Christ? They all say
      unto him, Let him be crucified. And the governor said, Why, what evil
      hath he done? But they cried out the more, saying, Let him be crucified.
      When Pilate saw that he could prevail nothing, but that rather a tumult
      was made, he took water, and washed his hands before the multitude,
      saying, I am innocent of the blood of this just person: see ye to it.
      Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our
      children. Then released he Barabbas unto them: and when he had scourged
      Jesus, he delivered him to be crucified. Then the soldiers of the
      governor took Jesus into the common hall, and gathered unto him the whole
      band of soldiers. And they stripped him, and put on him a scarlet robe.
      And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon his head,
      and a reed in his right hand: and they bowed the knee before him, and
      mocked him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews! And they spit upon him,
      and took the reed, and smote him on the head. And after that they had
      mocked him, they took the robe off from him, and put his own raiment on
      him, and led him away to crucify him. And as they came out, they found
      a man of Cyrene, Simon by name: him they compelled to bear his cross.
      And when they were come unto a place called Golgotha, that is to say,
      a place of a skull, They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with gall:
      and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink. And they crucified
      him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled
      which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them,
      and upon my vesture did they cast lots. And sitting down they watched
      him there; And set up over his head his accusation written, THIS IS JESUS
      THE KING OF THE JEWS. Then were there two thieves crucified with him,
      one on the right hand, and another on the left.

      And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If
      thou be Christ, save thyself and us. But the other answering rebuked
      him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same
      condemnation? And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of
      our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss. And he said unto Jesus,
      Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. And Jesus said unto
      him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

      And they that passed by reviled him, wagging their heads, And saying,
      Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days,
      save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross.
      Likewise also the chief priests mocking him, with the scribes and elders,
      said, He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of
      Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him.
      He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for
      he said, I am the Son of God. The thieves also, which were crucified
      with him, cast the same in his teeth. Now from the sixth hour there
      was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour. And about the
      ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama
      sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
      Some of them that stood there, when they heard that, said, This man
      calleth for Elias. And straightway one of them ran, and took a spunge,
      and filled it with vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave him to drink.
      The rest said, Let be, let us see whether Elias will come to save him.
      Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
      And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to
      the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; And the graves
      were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came
      out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city,
      and appeared unto many. Now when the centurion, and they that were
      with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that
      were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.

      The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies
      should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath
      day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken,
      and that they might be taken away. Then came the soldiers, and brake
      the legs of the first, and of the other which was crucified with him.
      But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they
      brake not his legs: But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his
      side, and forthwith came there out blood and water. And he that saw it
      bare record, and his record is true: and he knoweth that he saith true,
      that ye might believe. For these things were done, that the scripture
      should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken. And again
      another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced.

      And many women were there beholding afar off, which followed Jesus from
      Galilee, ministering unto him: Among which was Mary Magdalene, and Mary
      the mother of James and Joses, and the mother of Zebedees children.
      When the even was come, there came a rich man of Arimathaea, named
      Joseph, who also himself was Jesus' disciple: He went to Pilate, and
      begged the body of Jesus. Then Pilate commanded the body to be delivered.
      And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth,
      And laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock:
      and he rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulchre, and departed.
      And there was Mary Magdalene, and the other Mary, sitting over against
      the sepulchre.

      Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man
      glorified, and God is glorified in him. If God be glorified in him, God
      shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.
      Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me:
      and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say
      to you. A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another;
      as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all
      men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
      Simon Peter said unto him, Lord, whither goest thou? Jesus answered
      him, Whither I go, thou canst not follow me now; but thou shalt follow
      me afterwards. Peter said unto him, Lord, why cannot I follow thee
      now? I will lay down my life for thy sake. Jesus answered him, Wilt
      thou lay down thy life for my sake? Verily, verily, I say unto thee,
      The cock shall not crow, till thou hast denied me thrice.

      Chapter 14

      Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
      In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have
      told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare
      a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that
      where I am, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye know, and the way
      ye know. Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest;
      and how can we know the way? Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the
      truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. If ye had
      known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye
      know him, and have seen him. Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the
      Father, and it sufficeth us. Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long
      time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen
      me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
      Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the
      words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that
      dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. Believe me that I am in the Father,
      and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
      Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that
      I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because
      I go unto my Father. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will
      I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any
      thing in my name, I will do it. If ye love me, keep my commandments.
      And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter,
      that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom
      the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth
      him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
      I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. Yet a little
      while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live,
      ye shall live also. At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father,
      and ye in me, and I in you. He that hath my commandments, and keepeth
      them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved
      of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
      Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt
      manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world? Jesus answered and
      said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father
      will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
      He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye
      hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me. These things have I
      spoken unto you, being yet present with you. But the Comforter, which
      is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach
      you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever
      I have said unto you. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto
      you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be
      troubled, neither let it be afraid. Ye have heard how I said unto you,
      I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice,
      because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
      And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come
      to pass, ye might believe. Hereafter I will not talk much with you:
      for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me. But that
      the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me
      commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.

      Chapter 15

      I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch
      in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that
      beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
      Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
      Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself,
      except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
      I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him,
      the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
      If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered;
      and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
      If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will,
      and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that
      ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. As the Father hath
      loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. If ye keep my
      commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's
      commandments, and abide in his love. These things have I spoken unto
      you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
      This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
      Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for
      his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
      Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what
      his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that
      I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. Ye have not
      chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should
      go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that
      whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
      These things I command you, that ye love one another. If the world
      hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were
      of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of
      the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world
      hateth you. Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is
      not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also
      persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.
      But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because
      they know not him that sent me. If I had not come and spoken unto
      them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloak for their sin.
      He that hateth me hateth my Father also. If I had not done among them
      the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have
      they both seen and hated both me and my Father. But this cometh to
      pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law,
      They hated me without a cause. But when the Comforter is come, whom
      I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which
      proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: And ye also shall
      bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

      Chapter 16

      These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended.
      They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that
      whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service. And these
      things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father,
      nor me. But these things have I told you, that when the time shall
      come, ye may remember that I told you of them. And these things I said
      not unto you at the beginning, because I was with you. But now I go my
      way to him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Whither goest thou?
      But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your
      heart. Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that
      I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you;
      but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he
      will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
      Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go
      to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of
      this world is judged. I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye
      cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come,
      he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself;
      but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew
      you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine,
      and shall shew it unto you. All things that the Father hath are mine:
      therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
      A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while,
      and ye shall see me, because I go to the Father. Then said some of
      his disciples among themselves, What is this that he saith unto us,
      A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and
      ye shall see me: and, Because I go to the Father? They said therefore,
      What is this that he saith, A little while? we cannot tell what he saith.
      Now Jesus knew that they were desirous to ask him, and said unto them,
      Do ye enquire among yourselves of that I said, A little while, and
      ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me?
      Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but
      the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow
      shall be turned into joy. A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow,
      because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child,
      she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into
      the world. And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again,
      and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you.
      And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you,
      Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.
      Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive,
      that your joy may be full. These things have I spoken unto you in
      proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you
      in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father. At that day
      ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the
      Father for you: For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved
      me, and have believed that I came out from God. I came forth from the
      Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to
      the Father. His disciples said unto him, Lo, now speakest thou plainly,
      and speakest no proverb. Now are we sure that thou knowest all things,
      and needest not that any man should ask thee: by this we believe that
      thou camest forth from God. Jesus answered them, Do ye now believe?
      Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered,
      every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone,
      because the Father is with me. These things I have spoken unto you,
      that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation:
      but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

      Chapter 17

      These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said,
      Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may
      glorify thee: As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he
      should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him. And this
      is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus
      Christ, whom thou hast sent. I have glorified thee on the earth: I
      have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. And now, O Father,
      glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee
      before the world was. I have manifested thy name unto the men which
      thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them
      me; and they have kept thy word. Now they have known that all things
      whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee. For I have given unto them
      the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have
      known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou
      didst send me. I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them
      which thou hast given me; for they are thine. And all mine are thine,
      and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them. And now I am no more in
      the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father,
      keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they
      may be one, as we are. While I was with them in the world, I kept them
      in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is
      lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.
      And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they
      might have my joy fulfilled in themselves. I have given them thy word;
      and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even
      as I am not of the world. I pray not that thou shouldest take them out
      of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. They are
      not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them through
      thy truth: thy word is truth. As thou hast sent me into the world,
      even so have I also sent them into the world. And for their sakes I
      sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
      Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe
      on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father,
      art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the
      world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou
      gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
      I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and
      that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them,
      as thou hast loved me. Father, I will that they also, whom thou
      hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory,
      which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation
      of the world. O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee:
      but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me.
      And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the
      love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

      Chapter 18

      When Jesus had spoken these words, he went forth with his disciples
      over the brook Cedron, where was a garden, into the which he entered,
      and his disciples.

      passage: John 18:1-18:28

      When Jesus had spoken these words, he went forth with his disciples over
      the brook Cedron, where was a garden, into the which he entered, and
      his disciples. And Judas also, which betrayed him, knew the place: for
      Jesus ofttimes resorted thither with his disciples. Judas then, having
      received a band of men and officers from the chief priests and Pharisees,
      cometh thither with lanterns and torches and weapons. Jesus therefore,
      knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto
      them, Whom seek ye? They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith
      unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them.
      As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and
      fell to the ground. Then asked he them again, Whom seek ye? And they
      said, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus answered, I have told you that I am he:
      if therefore ye seek me, let these go their way: That the saying might be
      fulfilled, which he spake, Of them which thou gavest me have I lost none.
      Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's
      servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus.
      Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup
      which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it? Then the band
      and the captain and officers of the Jews took Jesus, and bound him,
      And led him away to Annas first; for he was father in law to Caiaphas,
      which was the high priest that same year. Now Caiaphas was he, which
      gave counsel to the Jews, that it was expedient that one man should
      die for the people. And Simon Peter followed Jesus, and so did another
      disciple: that disciple was known unto the high priest, and went in with
      Jesus into the palace of the high priest. But Peter stood at the door
      without. Then went out that other disciple, which was known unto the high
      priest, and spake unto her that kept the door, and brought in Peter.
      Then saith the damsel that kept the door unto Peter, Art not thou also
      one of this man's disciples? He saith, I am not. And the servants and
      officers stood there, who had made a fire of coals; for it was cold: and
      they warmed themselves: and Peter stood with them, and warmed himself.
      The high priest then asked Jesus of his disciples, and of his doctrine.
      Jesus answered him, I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the
      synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in
      secret have I said nothing. Why askest thou me? ask them which heard me,
      what I have said unto them: behold, they know what I said. And when
      he had thus spoken, one of the officers which stood by struck Jesus
      with the palm of his hand, saying, Answerest thou the high priest so?
      Jesus answered him, If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil:
      but if well, why smitest thou me? Now Annas had sent him bound unto
      Caiaphas the high priest. And Simon Peter stood and warmed himself. They
      said therefore unto him, Art not thou also one of his disciples? He
      denied it, and said, I am not. One of the servants of the high priest,
      being his kinsman whose ear Peter cut off, saith, Did not I see thee
      in the garden with him? Peter then denied again: and immediately the
      cock crew. Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment:
      and it was early; and they themselves went not into the judgment hall,
      lest they should be defiled; but that they might eat the passover.

      And they that had laid hold on Jesus led him away to Caiaphas the high
      priest, where the scribes and the elders were assembled. But Peter
      followed him afar off unto the high priest's palace, and went in,
      and sat with the servants, to see the end. Now the chief priests,
      and elders, and all the council, sought false witness against Jesus,
      to put him to death; But found none: yea, though many false witnesses
      came, yet found they none. At the last came two false witnesses, And
      said, This fellow said, I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to
      build it in three days. And the high priest arose, and said unto him,
      Answerest thou nothing? what is it which these witness against thee?
      But Jesus held his peace, And the high priest answered and said unto
      him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou
      be the Christ, the Son of God. Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said:
      nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man
      sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.
      Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy;
      what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his
      blasphemy. What think ye? They answered and said, He is guilty of death.
      Then did they spit in his face, and buffeted him; and others smote him
      with the palms of their hands, Saying, Prophesy unto us, thou Christ,
      Who is he that smote thee? Now Peter sat without in the palace: and
      a damsel came unto him, saying, Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee.
      But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what thou sayest.
      And when he was gone out into the porch, another maid saw him, and said
      unto them that were there, This fellow was also with Jesus of Nazareth.
      And again he denied with an oath, I do not know the man. And after
      a while came unto him they that stood by, and said to Peter, Surely
      thou also art one of them; for thy speech bewrayeth thee. Then began
      he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately
      the cock crew. And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto
      him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out,
      and wept bitterly.

      Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment: and it was
      early; and they themselves went not into the judgment hall, lest they
      should be defiled; but that they might eat the passover. Pilate then
      went out unto them, and said, What accusation bring ye against this man?
      They answered and said unto him, If he were not a malefactor, we would
      not have delivered him up unto thee. Then said Pilate unto them,
      Take ye him, and judge him according to your law. The Jews therefore
      said unto him, It is not lawful for us to put any man to death: That
      the saying of Jesus might be fulfilled, which he spake, signifying what
      death he should die. Then Pilate entered into the judgment hall again,
      and called Jesus, and said unto him, Art thou the King of the Jews?
      Jesus answered him, Sayest thou this thing of thyself, or did others
      tell it thee of me? Pilate answered, Am I a Jew? Thine own nation and
      the chief priests have delivered thee unto me: what hast thou done?
      Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of
      this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered
      to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence. Pilate therefore
      said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that
      I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the
      world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of
      the truth heareth my voice. Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And
      when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto
      them, I find in him no fault at all. But ye have a custom, that I
      should release unto you one at the passover: will ye therefore that
      I release unto you the King of the Jews? Then cried they all again,
      saying, Not this man, but Barabbas. Now Barabbas was a robber.

      Chapter 19

      Then Pilate therefore took Jesus, and scourged him. And the soldiers
      platted a crown of thorns, and put it on his head, and they put on
      him a purple robe, And said, Hail, King of the Jews! and they smote
      him with their hands. Pilate therefore went forth again, and saith
      unto them, Behold, I bring him forth to you, that ye may know that
      I find no fault in him. Then came Jesus forth, wearing the crown of
      thorns, and the purple robe. And Pilate saith unto them, Behold the man!
      When the chief priests therefore and officers saw him, they cried out,
      saying, Crucify him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Take ye him,
      and crucify him: for I find no fault in him. The Jews answered him, We
      have a law, and by our law he ought to die, because he made himself the
      Son of God. When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he was the more
      afraid; And went again into the judgment hall, and saith unto Jesus,
      Whence art thou? But Jesus gave him no answer. Then saith Pilate unto
      him, Speakest thou not unto me? knowest thou not that I have power to
      crucify thee, and have power to release thee? Jesus answered, Thou
      couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from
      above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.
      And from thenceforth Pilate sought to release him: but the Jews cried
      out, saying, If thou let this man go, thou art not Caesar's friend:
      whosoever maketh himself a king speaketh against Caesar. When Pilate
      therefore heard that saying, he brought Jesus forth, and sat down in
      the judgment seat in a place that is called the Pavement, but in the
      Hebrew, Gabbatha. And it was the preparation of the passover, and
      about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!
      But they cried out, Away with him, away with him, crucify him. Pilate
      saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King? The chief priests answered,
      We have no king but Caesar. Then delivered he him therefore unto them
      to be crucified. And they took Jesus, and led him away.

[...]

      And the soldiers led him away into the hall, called Praetorium; and
      they call together the whole band. And they clothed him with purple,
      and platted a crown of thorns, and put it about his head, And began to
      salute him, Hail, King of the Jews! And they smote him on the head with
      a reed, and did spit upon him, and bowing their knees worshipped him.
      And when they had mocked him, they took off the purple from him, and
      put his own clothes on him, and led him out to crucify him. And they
      compel one Simon a Cyrenian, who passed by, coming out of the country,
      the father of Alexander and Rufus, to bear his cross. And they bring
      him unto the place Golgotha, which is, being interpreted, The place
      of a skull. And they gave him to drink wine mingled with myrrh: but
      he received it not. And when they had crucified him, they parted his
      garments, casting lots upon them, what every man should take. And it
      was the third hour, and they crucified him. And the superscription
      of his accusation was written over, THE KING OF THE JEWS. And with
      him they crucify two thieves; the one on his right hand, and the other
      on his left. And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was
      numbered with the transgressors. And they that passed by railed on him,
      wagging their heads, and saying, Ah, thou that destroyest the temple, and
      buildest it in three days, Save thyself, and come down from the cross.
      Likewise also the chief priests mocking said among themselves with the
      scribes, He saved others; himself he cannot save. Let Christ the King
      of Israel descend now from the cross, that we may see and believe. And
      they that were crucified with him reviled him.

      And when they were come unto a place called Golgotha, that is to say,
      a place of a skull, They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and
      when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink. And they crucified him,
      and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which
      was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon
      my vesture did they cast lots. And sitting down they watched him there;
      And set up over his head his accusation written, THIS IS JESUS THE KING
      OF THE JEWS. Then were there two thieves crucified with him, one on the
      right hand, and another on the left. And they that passed by reviled
[...]

      And there were also two other, malefactors, led with him to be put to
      death. And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary,
      there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand,
      and the other on the left. Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for
      they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.
      And the people stood beholding. And the rulers also with them derided
      him, saying, He saved others; let him save himself, if he be Christ,
      the chosen of God. And the soldiers also mocked him, coming to him,
      and offering him vinegar, And saying, If thou be the king of the Jews,
      save thyself. And a superscription also was written over him in letters
      of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS. And one
      of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou
      be Christ, save thyself and us. But the other answering rebuked him,
      saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
      And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds:
      but this man hath done nothing amiss. And he said unto Jesus, Lord,
      remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. And Jesus said unto
      him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.
      And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the
      earth until the ninth hour. And the sun was darkened, and the veil
      of the temple was rent in the midst. And when Jesus had cried with
      a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit:
      and having said thus, he gave up the ghost. Now when the centurion
      saw what was done, he glorified God, saying, Certainly this was a
      righteous man. And all the people that came together to that sight,
      beholding the things which were done, smote their breasts, and returned.
      And all his acquaintance, and the women that followed him from Galilee,
      stood afar off, beholding these things.

      Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's
      sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus
      therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved,
      he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! Then saith he to the
      disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took
      her unto his own home. After this, Jesus knowing that all things
      were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith,
      I thirst. Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled
      a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.
      When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished:
      and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost. The Jews therefore,
      because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon
      the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,)
      besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be
      taken away. Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and
      of the other which was crucified with him. But when they came to Jesus,
      and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs: But one of
      the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there
      out blood and water. And he that saw it bare record, and his record
      is true: and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe.
      For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled,
      A bone of him shall not be broken. And again another scripture saith,
      They shall look on him whom they pierced.

      Joseph of Arimathaea, an honourable counsellor, which also waited for
      the kingdom of God, came, and went in boldly unto Pilate, and craved
      the body of Jesus. And Pilate marvelled if he were already dead:
      and calling unto him the centurion, he asked him whether he had been
      any while dead. And when he knew it of the centurion, he gave the body
      to Joseph. And he bought fine linen, and took him down, and wrapped him
      in the linen, and laid him in a sepulchre which was hewn out of a rock,
      and rolled a stone unto the door of the sepulchre. And Mary Magdalene
      and Mary the mother of Joses beheld where he was laid.

      And after this Joseph of Arimathaea, being a disciple of Jesus, but
      secretly for fear of the Jews, besought Pilate that he might take away
      the body of Jesus: and Pilate gave him leave. He came therefore, and
      took the body of Jesus. And there came also Nicodemus, which at the
      first came to Jesus by night, and brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes,
      about an hundred pound weight. Then took they the body of Jesus, and
      wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is
      to bury. Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden;
      and in the garden a new sepulchre, wherein was never man yet laid.
      There laid they Jesus therefore because of the Jews' preparation day;
      for the sepulchre was nigh at hand.

      Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the
      chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate, Saying, Sir,
      we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After
      three days I will rise again. Command therefore that the sepulchre
      be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night,
      and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead:
      so the last error shall be worse than the first. Pilate said unto them,
      Ye have a watch: go your way, make it as sure as ye can. So they went,
      and made the sepulchre sure, sealing the stone, and setting a watch.