Friday, March 21 / April 3, 2009: Isa 45:11-17, Gen 22:1-18, Prov 17:17-18:5

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2009
      passage: Isa 45:11-45:17

      Chapter 45

      Thus saith the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker, Ask me of
      things to come concerning my sons, and concerning the work of my hands
      command ye me. I have made the earth, and created man upon it: I,
      even my hands, have stretched out the heavens, and all their host have
      I commanded. I have raised him up in righteousness, and I will direct
      all his ways: he shall build my city, and he shall let go my captives,
      not for price nor reward, saith the LORD of hosts. Thus saith the LORD,
      The labour of Egypt, and merchandise of Ethiopia and of the Sabeans,
      men of stature, shall come over unto thee, and they shall be thine:
      they shall come after thee; in chains they shall come over, and they
      shall fall down unto thee, they shall make supplication unto thee,
      saying, Surely God is in thee; and there is none else, there is no God.
      Verily thou art a God that hidest thyself, O God of Israel, the Saviour.
      They shall be ashamed, and also confounded, all of them: they shall
      go to confusion together that are makers of idols. But Israel shall
      be saved in the LORD with an everlasting salvation: ye shall not be
      ashamed nor confounded world without end.

      passage: Gen 22:1-22:18

      Chapter 22

      And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and
      said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am. And he said,
      Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee
      into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon
      one of the mountains which I will tell thee of. And Abraham rose up
      early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men
      with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering,
      and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him. Then on
      the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw the place afar off.
      And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass;
      and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.
      And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Isaac
      his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife; and they went
      both of them together. And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and
      said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold
      the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?
      And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt
      offering: so they went both of them together. And they came to the
      place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there,
      and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on
      the altar upon the wood. And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and
      took the knife to slay his son. And the angel of the LORD called unto
      him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.
      And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing
      unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not
      withheld thy son, thine only son from me. And Abraham lifted up his
      eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by
      his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a
      burnt offering in the stead of his son. And Abraham called the name
      of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount
      of the LORD it shall be seen. And the angel of the LORD called unto
      Abraham out of heaven the second time, And said, By myself have I sworn,
      saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not
      withheld thy son, thine only son: That in blessing I will bless thee,
      and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven,
      and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess
      the gate of his enemies; And in thy seed shall all the nations of the
      earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

      passage: Prov 17:17-18:5

      Chapter 17

      A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
      A man void of understanding striketh hands, and becometh surety in the
      presence of his friend. He loveth transgression that loveth strife:
      and he that exalteth his gate seeketh destruction. He that hath
      a froward heart findeth no good: and he that hath a perverse tongue
      falleth into mischief. He that begetteth a fool doeth it to his sorrow:
      and the father of a fool hath no joy. A merry heart doeth good like a
      medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones. A wicked man taketh
      a gift out of the bosom to pervert the ways of judgment. Wisdom is
      before him that hath understanding; but the eyes of a fool are in
      the ends of the earth. A foolish son is a grief to his father, and
      bitterness to her that bare him. Also to punish the just is not good,
      nor to strike princes for equity. He that hath knowledge spareth his
      words: and a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit. Even a
      fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth
      his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

      Chapter 18

      Through desire a man, having separated himself, seeketh and intermeddleth
      with all wisdom. A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that
      his heart may discover itself. When the wicked cometh, then cometh
      also contempt, and with ignominy reproach. The words of a man's mouth
      are as deep waters, and the wellspring of wisdom as a flowing brook.
      It is not good to accept the person of the wicked, to overthrow the
      righteous in judgment.