Thursday, March 20 / April 2, 2009: Isa 42:5-16, Gen 18:20-33, Prov 16:17-17:17

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 9:10 PM
      passage: Isa 42:5-42:16

      Chapter 42

      Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them
      out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it;
      he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that
      walk therein: I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will
      hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of
      the people, for a light of the Gentiles; To open the blind eyes, to
      bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness
      out of the prison house. I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory
      will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. Behold,
      the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare: before
      they spring forth I tell you of them. Sing unto the LORD a new song,
      and his praise from the end of the earth, ye that go down to the sea,
      and all that is therein; the isles, and the inhabitants thereof. Let the
      wilderness and the cities thereof lift up their voice, the villages that
      Kedar doth inhabit: let the inhabitants of the rock sing, let them shout
      from the top of the mountains. Let them give glory unto the LORD, and
      declare his praise in the islands. The LORD shall go forth as a mighty
      man, he shall stir up jealousy like a man of war: he shall cry, yea,
      roar; he shall prevail against his enemies. I have long time holden
      my peace; I have been still, and refrained myself: now will I cry like
      a travailing woman; I will destroy and devour at once. I will make
      waste mountains and hills, and dry up all their herbs; and I will make
      the rivers islands, and I will dry up the pools. And I will bring the
      blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they
      have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked
      things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.

      passage: Gen 18:20-18:33

      Chapter 18

      And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and
      because their sin is very grievous; I will go down now, and see whether
      they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come
      unto me; and if not, I will know. And the men turned their faces from
      thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD.
      And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous
      with the wicked? Peradventure there be fifty righteous within the city:
      wilt thou also destroy and not spare the place for the fifty righteous
      that are therein? That be far from thee to do after this manner, to
      slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as
      the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth
      do right? And the LORD said, If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within
      the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes. And Abraham
      answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto
      the LORD, which am but dust and ashes: Peradventure there shall lack
      five of the fifty righteous: wilt thou destroy all the city for lack of
      five? And he said, If I find there forty and five, I will not destroy it.
      And he spake unto him yet again, and said, Peradventure there shall
      be forty found there. And he said, I will not do it for forty's sake.
      And he said unto him, Oh let not the LORD be angry, and I will speak:
      Peradventure there shall thirty be found there. And he said, I will not
      do it, if I find thirty there. And he said, Behold now, I have taken
      upon me to speak unto the LORD: Peradventure there shall be twenty
      found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for twenty's sake.
      And he said, Oh let not the LORD be angry, and I will speak yet but
      this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will
      not destroy it for ten's sake. And the LORD went his way, as soon as
      he had left communing with Abraham: and Abraham returned unto his place.

      passage: Prov 16:17-17:17

      Chapter 16

      The highway of the upright is to depart from evil: he that keepeth his
      way preserveth his soul. Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty
      spirit before a fall. Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the
      lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud. He that handleth a
      matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy
      is he. The wise in heart shall be called prudent: and the sweetness
      of the lips increaseth learning. Understanding is a wellspring of
      life unto him that hath it: but the instruction of fools is folly.
      The heart of the wise teacheth his mouth, and addeth learning to his
      lips. Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health
      to the bones. There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end
      thereof are the ways of death. He that laboureth laboureth for himself;
      for his mouth craveth it of him. An ungodly man diggeth up evil: and
      in his lips there is as a burning fire. A froward man soweth strife:
      and a whisperer separateth chief friends. A violent man enticeth his
      neighbour, and leadeth him into the way that is not good. He shutteth
      his eyes to devise froward things: moving his lips he bringeth evil
      to pass. The hoary head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way
      of righteousness. He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty;
      and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city. The lot is
      cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the LORD.

      Chapter 17

      Better is a dry morsel, and quietness therewith, than an house full of
      sacrifices with strife. A wise servant shall have rule over a son that
      causeth shame, and shall have part of the inheritance among the brethren.
      The fining pot is for silver, and the furnace for gold: but the LORD
      trieth the hearts. A wicked doer giveth heed to false lips; and a liar
      giveth ear to a naughty tongue. Whoso mocketh the poor reproacheth
      his Maker: and he that is glad at calamities shall not be unpunished.
      Children's children are the crown of old men; and the glory of children
      are their fathers. Excellent speech becometh not a fool: much less
      do lying lips a prince. A gift is as a precious stone in the eyes of
      him that hath it: whithersoever it turneth, it prospereth. He that
      covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter
      separateth very friends. A reproof entereth more into a wise man than
      an hundred stripes into a fool. An evil man seeketh only rebellion:
      therefore a cruel messenger shall be sent against him. Let a bear
      robbed of her whelps meet a man, rather than a fool in his folly.
      Whoso rewardeth evil for good, evil shall not depart from his house.
      The beginning of strife is as when one letteth out water: therefore
      leave off contention, before it be meddled with. He that justifieth the
      wicked, and he that condemneth the just, even they both are abomination
      to the LORD. Wherefore is there a price in the hand of a fool to get
      wisdom, seeing he hath no heart to it? A friend loveth at all times,
      and a brother is born for adversity.