Sunday, August 28 / September 10, 2000: Sunday of the Holy Fathers of the Seventh Ecumenical Council: 1Cor 15:1-11, Matt 19:16-26

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2000

      Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto
      you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also
      ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless
      ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that
      which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according
      to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the
      third day according to the scriptures: And that he was seen of Cephas,
      then of the twelve: After that, he was seen of above five hundred
      brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present,
      but some are fallen asleep. After that, he was seen of James; then of
      all the apostles. And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one
      born out of due time. For I am the least of the apostles, that am not
      meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
      But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed
      upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all:
      yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. Therefore whether
      it were I or they, so we preach, and so ye believed.

      And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing
      shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why
      callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if
      thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him,
      Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit
      adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
      Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour
      as thyself. The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept
      from my youth up: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt
      be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou
      shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. But when the
      young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great
      possessions. Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto
      you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
      And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the
      eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
      When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying,
      Who then can be saved? But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them,
      With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.