Thursday, December 19 2008 / January 1, 2009: Heb 7:1-6, Mark 10:17-27

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2008
      passage: Heb 7:1-7:6

      Chapter 7

      For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met
      Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him; To
      whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation
      King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is,
      King of peace; Without father, without mother, without descent, having
      neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son
      of God; abideth a priest continually. Now consider how great this man
      was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.
      And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office
      of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people
      according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out
      of the loins of Abraham: But he whose descent is not counted from them
      received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.

      And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and
      kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I
      may inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou
      me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. Thou knowest the
      commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do
      not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.
      And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed
      from my youth. Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him,
      One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give
      to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up
      the cross, and follow me. And he was sad at that saying, and went away
      grieved: for he had great possessions. And Jesus looked round about,
      and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches
      enter into the kingdom of God! And the disciples were astonished at
      his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children,
      how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom
      of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle,
      than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. And they were
      astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be
      saved? And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible,
      but not with God: for with God all things are possible.