Saturday, May 20 / June 2, 2001: Acts 28:1-31, John 21:15-25

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2001

      And when they were escaped, then they knew that the island was called
      Melita. And the barbarous people shewed us no little kindness:
      for they kindled a fire, and received us every one, because of the
      present rain, and because of the cold. And when Paul had gathered a
      bundle of sticks, and laid them on the fire, there came a viper out
      of the heat, and fastened on his hand. And when the barbarians saw
      the venomous beast hang on his hand, they said among themselves, No
      doubt this man is a murderer, whom, though he hath escaped the sea,
      yet vengeance suffereth not to live. And he shook off the beast into
      the fire, and felt no harm. Howbeit they looked when he should have
      swollen, or fallen down dead suddenly: but after they had looked a
      great while, and saw no harm come to him, they changed their minds,
      and said that he was a god. In the same quarters were possessions of
      the chief man of the island, whose name was Publius; who received us,
      and lodged us three days courteously. And it came to pass, that the
      father of Publius lay sick of a fever and of a bloody flux: to whom
      Paul entered in, and prayed, and laid his hands on him, and healed him.
      So when this was done, others also, which had diseases in the island,
      came, and were healed: Who also honoured us with many honours; and
      when we departed, they laded us with such things as were necessary.
      And after three months we departed in a ship of Alexandria, which had
      wintered in the isle, whose sign was Castor and Pollux. And landing
      at Syracuse, we tarried there three days. And from thence we fetched
      a compass, and came to Rhegium: and after one day the south wind blew,
      and we came the next day to Puteoli: Where we found brethren, and were
      desired to tarry with them seven days: and so we went toward Rome.
      And from thence, when the brethren heard of us, they came to meet us
      as far as Appii forum, and The three taverns: whom when Paul saw,
      he thanked God, and took courage. And when we came to Rome, the
      centurion delivered the prisoners to the captain of the guard: but
      Paul was suffered to dwell by himself with a soldier that kept him.
      And it came to pass, that after three days Paul called the chief of
      the Jews together: and when they were come together, he said unto them,
      Men and brethren, though I have committed nothing against the people,
      or customs of our fathers, yet was I delivered prisoner from Jerusalem
      into the hands of the Romans. Who, when they had examined me, would
      have let me go, because there was no cause of death in me. But when
      the Jews spake against it, I was constrained to appeal unto Caesar; not
      that I had ought to accuse my nation of. For this cause therefore have
      I called for you, to see you, and to speak with you: because that for
      the hope of Israel I am bound with this chain. And they said unto him,
      We neither received letters out of Judaea concerning thee, neither any of
      the brethren that came shewed or spake any harm of thee. But we desire
      to hear of thee what thou thinkest: for as concerning this sect, we know
      that every where it is spoken against. And when they had appointed him
      a day, there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and
      testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out
      of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening.
      And some believed the things which were spoken, and some believed not.
      And when they agreed not among themselves, they departed, after that Paul
      had spoken one word, Well spake the Holy Ghost by Esaias the prophet unto
      our fathers, Saying, Go unto this people, and say, Hearing ye shall hear,
      and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and not perceive:
      For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull
      of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with
      their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart,
      and should be converted, and I should heal them. Be it known therefore
      unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that
      they will hear it. And when he had said these words, the Jews departed,
      and had great reasoning among themselves. And Paul dwelt two whole
      years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him,

      So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas,
      lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou
      knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. He saith
      to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He
      saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith
      unto him, Feed my sheep. He saith unto him the third time, Simon,
      son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto
      him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou
      knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him,
      Feed my sheep. Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young,
      thou girdest thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou
      shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall
      gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not. This spake he,
      signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken
      this, he saith unto him, Follow me. Then Peter, turning about, seeth
      the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his
      breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee?
      Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?
      Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is
      that to thee? follow thou me. Then went this saying abroad among the
      brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto
      him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what
      is that to thee? This is the disciple which testifieth of these things,
      and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true.