Monday, December 18/31, 2007: James 2:14-26, Mark 10:46-52

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2007
      passage: James 2:14-2:26

      Chapter 2

      What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and
      have not works? can faith save him? If a brother or sister be naked, and
      destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace,
      be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things
      which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if
      it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast
      faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will
      shew thee my faith by my works. Thou believest that there is one God;
      thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. But wilt thou
      know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? Was not Abraham
      our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon
      the altar? Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works
      was faith made perfect? And the scripture was fulfilled which saith,
      Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness:
      and he was called the Friend of God. Ye see then how that by works a
      man is justified, and not by faith only. Likewise also was not Rahab
      the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers,
      and had sent them out another way? For as the body without the spirit
      is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

      And they came to Jericho: and as he went out of Jericho with his
      disciples and a great number of people, blind Bartimaeus, the son of
      Timaeus, sat by the highway side begging. And when he heard that it
      was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out, and say, Jesus, thou son
      of David, have mercy on me. And many charged him that he should hold
      his peace: but he cried the more a great deal, Thou son of David, have
      mercy on me. And Jesus stood still, and commanded him to be called. And
      they call the blind man, saying unto him, Be of good comfort, rise;
      he calleth thee. And he, casting away his garment, rose, and came
      to Jesus. And Jesus answered and said unto him, What wilt thou that
      I should do unto thee? The blind man said unto him, Lord, that I might
      receive my sight. And Jesus said unto him, Go thy way; thy faith hath
      made thee whole. And immediately he received his sight, and followed
      Jesus in the way.