Sunday, August 21 / September 3, 2000: 1Cor 9:2-12, Matt 18:23-35

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2000

      If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for
      the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord. Mine answer to them
      that do examine me is this, Have we not power to eat and to drink?
      Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other
      apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas? Or I only and
      Barnabas, have not we power to forbear working? Who goeth a warfare
      any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not
      of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the
      milk of the flock? Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law
      the same also? For it is written in the law of Moses, thou shalt not
      muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take
      care for oxen? Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes,
      no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope;
      and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope.
      If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we
      shall reap your carnal things? If others be partakers of this power
      over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power;
      but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ.

      Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king,
      which would take account of his servants. And when he had begun to
      reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.
      But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold,
      and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.
      The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have
      patience with me, and I will pay thee all. Then the lord of that servant
      was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.
      But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants,
      which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him
      by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest. And his fellowservant
      fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me,
      and I will pay thee all. And he would not: but went and cast him into
      prison, till he should pay the debt. So when his fellowservants saw
      what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord
      all that was done. Then his lord, after that he had called him, said
      unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because
      thou desiredst me: Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy
      fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee? And his lord was wroth,
      and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was
      due unto him. So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if
      ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.