Thursday, May 19 / June 1, 2006: Thursday: The Ascension of Our Lord: Acts 1:1-12, Luke 24:36-53

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2006

      The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus
      began both to do and teach, Until the day in which he was taken up,
      after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the
      apostles whom he had chosen: To whom also he shewed himself alive
      after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty
      days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God: And,
      being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not
      depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which,
      saith he, ye have heard of me. For John truly baptized with water;
      but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.
      When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord,
      wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? And he
      said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons,
      which the Father hath put in his own power. But ye shall receive power,
      after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses
      unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto
      the uttermost part of the earth. And when he had spoken these things,
      while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of
      their sight. And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went
      up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; Which also said,
      Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus,
      which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as
      ye have seen him go into heaven. Then returned they unto Jerusalem from
      the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.

      And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them,
      and saith unto them, Peace be unto you. But they were terrified and
      affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit. And he said unto
      them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
      Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see;
      for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have. And when
      he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet. And while
      they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have
      ye here any meat? And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of
      an honeycomb. And he took it, and did eat before them. And he said
      unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet
      with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the
      law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
      Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the
      scriptures, And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved
      Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that
      repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all
      nations, beginning at Jerusalem. And ye are witnesses of these things.
      And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye
      in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
      And he led them out as far as to Bethany, and he lifted up his hands,
      and blessed them. And it came to pass, while he blessed them, he was
      parted from them, and carried up into heaven. And they worshipped him,
      and returned to Jerusalem with great joy: