Friday, February 17 / March 2, 2001: Is 3:1-14, Gen 2:20-3:20, Prov 3:19-34

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 9:10 PM
      passage: Is 3:1-3:14

      Chapter 3

      For, behold, the Lord, the LORD of hosts, doth take away from Jerusalem
      and from Judah the stay and the staff, the whole stay of bread, and the
      whole stay of water. The mighty man, and the man of war, the judge,
      and the prophet, and the prudent, and the ancient, The captain of fifty,
      and the honourable man, and the counsellor, and the cunning artificer,
      and the eloquent orator. And I will give children to be their princes,
      and babes shall rule over them. And the people shall be oppressed,
      every one by another, and every one by his neighbour: the child shall
      behave himself proudly against the ancient, and the base against the
      honourable. When a man shall take hold of his brother of the house
      of his father, saying, Thou hast clothing, be thou our ruler, and
      let this ruin be under thy hand: In that day shall he swear, saying,
      I will not be an healer; for in my house is neither bread nor clothing:
      make me not a ruler of the people. For Jerusalem is ruined, and Judah
      is fallen: because their tongue and their doings are against the LORD,
      to provoke the eyes of his glory. The shew of their countenance doth
      witness against them; and they declare their sin as Sodom, they hide it
      not. Woe unto their soul! for they have rewarded evil unto themselves.
      Say ye to the righteous, that it shall be well with him: for they shall
      eat the fruit of their doings. Woe unto the wicked! it shall be ill
      with him: for the reward of his hands shall be given him. As for my
      people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my
      people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way
      of thy paths. The LORD standeth up to plead, and standeth to judge
      the people. The LORD will enter into judgment with the ancients of
      his people, and the princes thereof: for ye have eaten up the vineyard;
      the spoil of the poor is in your houses.

      passage: Gen 2:20-3:20

      Chapter 2

      And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to
      every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet
      for him. And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and
      he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead
      thereof; And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a
      woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This is now bone
      of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because
      she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and
      his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
      And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

      Chapter 3

      Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the
      LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said,
      Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden? And the woman said unto
      the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: But
      of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath
      said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
      And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God
      doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened,
      and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. And when the woman saw
      that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes,
      and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof,
      and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
      And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were
      naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
      And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the
      cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence
      of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden. And the LORD God called
      unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou? And he said, I heard
      thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I
      hid myself. And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou
      eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?
      And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me
      of the tree, and I did eat. And the LORD God said unto the woman, What
      is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled
      me, and I did eat. And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou
      hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast
      of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all
      the days of thy life: And I will put enmity between thee and the woman,
      and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou
      shalt bruise his heel. Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply
      thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children;
      and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
      And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice
      of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee,
      saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake;
      in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; Thorns also
      and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb
      of the field; In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou
      return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art,
      and unto dust shalt thou return. And Adam called his wife's name Eve;
      because she was the mother of all living.

      passage: Prov 3:19-3:34

      The LORD by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he
      established the heavens. By his knowledge the depths are broken up, and
      the clouds drop down the dew. My son, let not them depart from thine
      eyes: keep sound wisdom and discretion: So shall they be life unto thy
      soul, and grace to thy neck. Then shalt thou walk in thy way safely,
      and thy foot shall not stumble. When thou liest down, thou shalt not
      be afraid: yea, thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet.
      Be not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the desolation of the wicked,
      when it cometh. For the LORD shall be thy confidence, and shall
      keep thy foot from being taken. Withhold not good from them to whom
      it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it. Say not
      unto thy neighbour, Go, and come again, and to morrow I will give;
      when thou hast it by thee. Devise not evil against thy neighbour,
      seeing he dwelleth securely by thee. Strive not with a man without
      cause, if he have done thee no harm. Envy thou not the oppressor, and
      choose none of his ways. For the froward is abomination to the LORD:
      but his secret is with the righteous. The curse of the LORD is in
      the house of the wicked: but he blesseth the habitation of the just.
      Surely he scorneth the scorners: but he giveth grace unto the lowly.