Friday, May 21 / June 3, 2005: Acts 15:5-34, John 10:17-28

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2005

      But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed,
      saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to
      keep the law of Moses. And the apostles and elders came together for
      to consider of this matter. And when there had been much disputing,
      Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that
      a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my
      mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe. And God, which
      knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost,
      even as he did unto us; And put no difference between us and them,
      purifying their hearts by faith. Now therefore why tempt ye God, to
      put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers
      nor we were able to bear? But we believe that through the grace
      of the LORD Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they. Then all
      the multitude kept silence, and gave audience to Barnabas and Paul,
      declaring what miracles and wonders God had wrought among the Gentiles
      by them. And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying,
      Men and brethren, hearken unto me: Simeon hath declared how God at the
      first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
      And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written, After
      this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which
      is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set
      it up: That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the
      Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all
      these things. Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of
      the world. Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which
      from among the Gentiles are turned to God: But that we write unto them,
      that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and
      from things strangled, and from blood. For Moses of old time hath in
      every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every
      sabbath day. Then pleased it the apostles and elders with the whole
      church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and
      Barnabas; namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas and Silas, chief men among
      the brethren: And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The
      apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which
      are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia. Forasmuch as we
      have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with
      words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep
      the law: to whom we gave no such commandment: It seemed good unto us,
      being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our
      beloved Barnabas and Paul, Men that have hazarded their lives for the
      name of our Lord Jesus Christ. We have sent therefore Judas and Silas,
      who shall also tell you the same things by mouth. For it seemed good
      to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than
      these necessary things; That ye abstain from meats offered to idols,
      and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication:
      from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
      So when they were dismissed, they came to Antioch: and when they had
      gathered the multitude together, they delivered the epistle: Which when
      they had read, they rejoiced for the consolation. And Judas and Silas,
      being prophets also themselves, exhorted the brethren with many words,
      and confirmed them. And after they had tarried there a space, they were
      let go in peace from the brethren unto the apostles. Notwithstanding it
      pleased Silas to abide there still.

      Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that
      I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down
      of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it
      again. This commandment have I received of my Father. There was a
      division therefore again among the Jews for these sayings. And many of
      them said, He hath a devil, and is mad; why hear ye him? Others said,
      These are not the words of him that hath a devil. Can a devil open the
      eyes of the blind? And it was at Jerusalem the feast of the dedication,
      and it was winter. And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon's porch.
      Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou
      make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly. Jesus answered
      them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's
      name, they bear witness of me. But ye believe not, because ye are not
      of my sheep, as I said unto you. My sheep hear my voice, and I know
      them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they
      shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.