Tuesday, May 18/31, 2005: Acts 12:25-13:12, John 8:51-59

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2005

      And Barnabas and Saul returned from Jerusalem, when they had fulfilled
      their ministry, and took with them John, whose surname was Mark.

      Chapter 13

      Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and
      teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of
      Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch,
      and Saul. As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost
      said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have
      called them. And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands
      on them, they sent them away. So they, being sent forth by the Holy
      Ghost, departed unto Seleucia; and from thence they sailed to Cyprus.
      And when they were at Salamis, they preached the word of God in the
      synagogues of the Jews: and they had also John to their minister.
      And when they had gone through the isle unto Paphos, they found a
      certain sorcerer, a false prophet, a Jew, whose name was Barjesus:
      Which was with the deputy of the country, Sergius Paulus, a prudent man;
      who called for Barnabas and Saul, and desired to hear the word of God.
      But Elymas the sorcerer (for so is his name by interpretation) withstood
      them, seeking to turn away the deputy from the faith. Then Saul, (who
      also is called Paul,) filled with the Holy Ghost, set his eyes on him.
      And said, O full of all subtilty and all mischief, thou child of the
      devil, thou enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert
      the right ways of the Lord? And now, behold, the hand of the Lord is
      upon thee, and thou shalt be blind, not seeing the sun for a season. And
      immediately there fell on him a mist and a darkness; and he went about
      seeking some to lead him by the hand. Then the deputy, when he saw
      what was done, believed, being astonished at the doctrine of the Lord.

      Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall
      never see death. Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou
      hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest,
      If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death. Art thou
      greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are
      dead: whom makest thou thyself? Jesus answered, If I honour myself,
      my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye
      say, that he is your God: Yet ye have not known him; but I know him:
      and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you:
      but I know him, and keep his saying. Your father Abraham rejoiced to
      see my day: and he saw it, and was glad. Then said the Jews unto him,
      Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? Jesus said
      unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
      Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went
      out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.