Tuesday, April 20 / May 3, 2005: Bright Tuesday: Acts 2:14-21, Luke 24:12-35

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2005

      But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said
      unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem,
      be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: For these are not
      drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.
      But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; And it shall
      come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit
      upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and
      your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
      And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days
      of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy: And I will shew wonders in heaven
      above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of
      smoke: The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood,
      before the great and notable day of the Lord come: And it shall come to
      pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

      Then arose Peter, and ran unto the sepulchre; and stooping down, he
      beheld the linen clothes laid by themselves, and departed, wondering in
      himself at that which was come to pass. And, behold, two of them went
      that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about
      threescore furlongs. And they talked together of all these things which
      had happened. And it came to pass, that, while they communed together
      and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them. But their
      eyes were holden that they should not know him. And he said unto them,
      What manner of communications are these that ye have one to another,
      as ye walk, and are sad? And the one of them, whose name was Cleopas,
      answering said unto him, Art thou only a stranger in Jerusalem, and
      hast not known the things which are come to pass there in these days?
      And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning
      Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God
      and all the people: And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered
      him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him. But we trusted
      that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all
      this, to day is the third day since these things were done. Yea, and
      certain women also of our company made us astonished, which were early
      at the sepulchre; And when they found not his body, they came, saying,
      that they had also seen a vision of angels, which said that he was alive.
      And certain of them which were with us went to the sepulchre, and found
      it even so as the women had said: but him they saw not. Then he said
      unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets
      have spoken: Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to
      enter into his glory? And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he
      expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
      And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went: and he made as
      though he would have gone further. But they constrained him, saying,
      Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And
      he went in to tarry with them. And it came to pass, as he sat at meat
      with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.
      And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out
      of their sight. And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn
      within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to
      us the scriptures? And they rose up the same hour, and returned to
      Jerusalem, and found the eleven gathered together, and them that were
      with them, Saying, The Lord is risen indeed, and hath appeared to Simon.
      And they told what things were done in the way, and how he was known
      of them in breaking of bread.