Wednesday, February 17 / March 2, 2005: 1John 3:21-4:6, Mark 14:43-15:1

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2005
      passage: 1John 3:21-4:6

      Chapter 3

      Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward
      God. And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his
      commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
      And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of
      his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
      And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And
      hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath
      given us.

      Chapter 4

      Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they
      are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
      Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that
      Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that
      confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God:
      and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it
      should come; and even now already is it in the world. Ye are of God,
      little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is
      in you, than he that is in the world. They are of the world: therefore
      speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. We are of God:
      he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not
      us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

      And immediately, while he yet spake, cometh Judas, one of the twelve,
      and with him a great multitude with swords and staves, from the chief
      priests and the scribes and the elders. And he that betrayed him had
      given them a token, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he;
      take him, and lead him away safely. And as soon as he was come, he
      goeth straightway to him, and saith, Master, master; and kissed him.
      And they laid their hands on him, and took him. And one of them
      that stood by drew a sword, and smote a servant of the high priest,
      and cut off his ear. And Jesus answered and said unto them, Are ye
      come out, as against a thief, with swords and with staves to take me?
      I was daily with you in the temple teaching, and ye took me not: but
      the scriptures must be fulfilled. And they all forsook him, and fled.
      And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast
      about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him: And he left
      the linen cloth, and fled from them naked. And they led Jesus away to
      the high priest: and with him were assembled all the chief priests and
      the elders and the scribes. And Peter followed him afar off, even into
      the palace of the high priest: and he sat with the servants, and warmed
      himself at the fire. And the chief priests and all the council sought
      for witness against Jesus to put him to death; and found none. For many
      bare false witness against him, but their witness agreed not together.
      And there arose certain, and bare false witness against him, saying, We
      heard him say, I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and
      within three days I will build another made without hands. But neither
      so did their witness agree together. And the high priest stood up in
      the midst, and asked Jesus, saying, Answerest thou nothing? what is it
      which these witness against thee? But he held his peace, and answered
      nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou
      the Christ, the Son of the Blessed? And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall
      see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in
      the clouds of heaven. Then the high priest rent his clothes, and saith,
      What need we any further witnesses? Ye have heard the blasphemy: what
      think ye? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death. And some
      began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to
      say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms
      of their hands. And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh
      one of the maids of the high priest: And when she saw Peter warming
      himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus
      of Nazareth. But he denied, saying, I know not, neither understand I
      what thou sayest. And he went out into the porch; and the cock crew.
      And a maid saw him again, and began to say to them that stood by,
      This is one of them. And he denied it again. And a little after,
      they that stood by said again to Peter, Surely thou art one of them:
      for thou art a Galilaean, and thy speech agreeth thereto. But he began
      to curse and to swear, saying, I know not this man of whom ye speak.
      And the second time the cock crew. And Peter called to mind the word
      that Jesus said unto him, Before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny
      me thrice. And when he thought thereon, he wept.

      Chapter 15

      And straightway in the morning the chief priests held a consultation
      with the elders and scribes and the whole council, and bound Jesus,
      and carried him away, and delivered him to Pilate.