Friday, December 18/31, 2004: James 2:1-13, Mark 10:23-32

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2004
      passage: James 2:1-2:13

      Chapter 2

      My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of
      glory, with respect of persons. For if there come unto your assembly
      a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a
      poor man in vile raiment; And ye have respect to him that weareth the
      gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say
      to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool: Are ye
      not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?
      Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world
      rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them
      that love him? But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress
      you, and draw you before the judgment seats? Do not they blaspheme that
      worthy name by the which ye are called? If ye fulfil the royal law
      according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself,
      ye do well: But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are
      convinced of the law as transgressors. For whosoever shall keep the
      whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. For he
      that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou
      commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor
      of the law. So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by
      the law of liberty. For he shall have judgment without mercy, that
      hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

      And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly
      shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God! And the
      disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again,
      and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in
      riches to enter into the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to
      go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the
      kingdom of God. And they were astonished out of measure, saying among
      themselves, Who then can be saved? And Jesus looking upon them saith,
      With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things
      are possible. Then Peter began to say unto him, Lo, we have left all,
      and have followed thee. And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto
      you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters,
      or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake,
      and the gospel's, But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time,
      houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands,
      with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life. But many that
      are first shall be last; and the last first. And they were in the way
      going up to Jerusalem; and Jesus went before them: and they were amazed;
      and as they followed, they were afraid. And he took again the twelve,
      and began to tell them what things should happen unto him,