Monday, April 20 / May 3, 2004: Acts 10:1-16, John 6:56-69

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2004

      There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of
      the band called the Italian band, A devout man, and one that feared God
      with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to
      God alway. He saw in a vision evidently about the ninth hour of the
      day an angel of God coming in to him, and saying unto him, Cornelius.
      And when he looked on him, he was afraid, and said, What is it, Lord? And
      he said unto him, Thy prayers and thine alms are come up for a memorial
      before God. And now send men to Joppa, and call for one Simon, whose
      surname is Peter: He lodgeth with one Simon a tanner, whose house is by
      the sea side: he shall tell thee what thou oughtest to do. And when
      the angel which spake unto Cornelius was departed, he called two of
      his household servants, and a devout soldier of them that waited on
      him continually; And when he had declared all these things unto them,
      he sent them to Joppa. On the morrow, as they went on their journey,
      and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray
      about the sixth hour: And he became very hungry, and would have eaten:
      but while they made ready, he fell into a trance, And saw heaven opened,
      and a certain vessel descending upon him, as it had been a great sheet
      knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: Wherein were all
      manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping
      things, and fowls of the air. And there came a voice to him, Rise,
      Peter; kill, and eat. But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never
      eaten any thing that is common or unclean. And the voice spake unto him
      again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
      This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.

      He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I
      in him. As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father:
      so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me. This is that bread
      which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna,
      and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.
      These things said he in the synagogue, as he taught in Capernaum.
      Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This
      is an hard saying; who can hear it? When Jesus knew in himself that
      his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?
      What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?
      It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the
      words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
      But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the
      beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.
      And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me,
      except it were given unto him of my Father. From that time many of his
      disciples went back, and walked no more with him. Then said Jesus unto
      the twelve, Will ye also go away? Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord,
      to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. And we believe
      and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.