Tuesday, February 18 / March 2, 2004: Isa 5:7-16, Gen 4:8-15, Prov 5:1-15

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2004
      passage: Isa 5:7-5:16

      Chapter 5

      For the vineyard of the LORD of hosts is the house of Israel, and the
      men of Judah his pleasant plant: and he looked for judgment, but behold
      oppression; for righteousness, but behold a cry. Woe unto them that
      join house to house, that lay field to field, till there be no place,
      that they may be placed alone in the midst of the earth! In mine
      ears said the LORD of hosts, Of a truth many houses shall be desolate,
      even great and fair, without inhabitant. Yea, ten acres of vineyard
      shall yield one bath, and the seed of an homer shall yield an ephah.
      Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow
      strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!
      And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their
      feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD, neither consider the
      operation of his hands. Therefore my people are gone into captivity,
      because they have no knowledge: and their honourable men are famished,
      and their multitude dried up with thirst. Therefore hell hath enlarged
      herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and
      their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend
      into it. And the mean man shall be brought down, and the mighty man
      shall be humbled, and the eyes of the lofty shall be humbled: But the
      LORD of hosts shall be exalted in judgment, and God that is holy shall
      be sanctified in righteousness.

      passage: Gen 4:8-4:15

      Chapter 4

      And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they
      were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and
      slew him. And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he
      said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper? And he said, What hast thou
      done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.
      And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to
      receive thy brother's blood from thy hand; When thou tillest the ground,
      it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive and
      a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth. And Cain said unto the LORD,
      My punishment is greater than I can bear. Behold, thou hast driven
      me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall
      I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and
      it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.
      And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance
      shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain,
      lest any finding him should kill him.

      passage: Prov 5:1-5:15

      Chapter 5

      My son, attend unto my wisdom, and bow thine ear to my understanding:
      That thou mayest regard discretion, and that thy lips may keep knowledge.
      For the lips of a strange woman drop as an honeycomb, and her mouth
      is smoother than oil: But her end is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a
      two-edged sword. Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell.
      Lest thou shouldest ponder the path of life, her ways are moveable,
      that thou canst not know them. Hear me now therefore, O ye children,
      and depart not from the words of my mouth. Remove thy way far from
      her, and come not nigh the door of her house: Lest thou give thine
      honour unto others, and thy years unto the cruel: Lest strangers be
      filled with thy wealth; and thy labours be in the house of a stranger;
      And thou mourn at the last, when thy flesh and thy body are consumed,
      And say, How have I hated instruction, and my heart despised reproof;
      And have not obeyed the voice of my teachers, nor inclined mine ear
      to them that instructed me! I was almost in all evil in the midst of
      the congregation and assembly. Drink waters out of thine own cistern,
      and running waters out of thine own well.