Sunday, May 19 / June 1, 2003: Sunday of the Blind Man: Acts 16:16-34, John 9:1-38

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31 9:10 PM

      And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed
      with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much
      gain by soothsaying: The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying,
      These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us
      the way of salvation. And this did she many days. But Paul, being
      grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name
      of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour.
      And when her masters saw that the hope of their gains was gone,
      they caught Paul and Silas, and drew them into the marketplace unto
      the rulers, And brought them to the magistrates, saying, These men,
      being Jews, do exceedingly trouble our city, And teach customs, which
      are not lawful for us to receive, neither to observe, being Romans.
      And the multitude rose up together against them: and the magistrates
      rent off their clothes, and commanded to beat them. And when they had
      laid many stripes upon them, they cast them into prison, charging the
      jailor to keep them safely: Who, having received such a charge, thrust
      them into the inner prison, and made their feet fast in the stocks.
      And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and
      the prisoners heard them. And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so
      that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the
      doors were opened, and every one's bands were loosed. And the keeper
      of the prison awaking out of his sleep, and seeing the prison doors
      open, he drew out his sword, and would have killed himself, supposing
      that the prisoners had been fled. But Paul cried with a loud voice,
      saying, Do thyself no harm: for we are all here. Then he called for a
      light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and
      Silas, And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
      And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved,
      and thy house. And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all
      that were in his house. And he took them the same hour of the night,
      and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.
      And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them,
      and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house.

      And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
      And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man,
      or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath
      this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should
      be made manifest in him. I must work the works of him that sent me,
      while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work. As long as I
      am in the world, I am the light of the world. When he had thus spoken,
      he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed
      the eyes of the blind man with the clay, And said unto him, Go, wash
      in the pool of Siloam, (which is by interpretation, Sent.) He went his
      way therefore, and washed, and came seeing. The neighbours therefore,
      and they which before had seen him that he was blind, said, Is not this
      he that sat and begged? Some said, This is he: others said, He is like
      him: but he said, I am he. Therefore said they unto him, How were thine
      eyes opened? He answered and said, A man that is called Jesus made clay,
      and anointed mine eyes, and said unto me, Go to the pool of Siloam, and
      wash: and I went and washed, and I received sight. Then said they unto
      him, Where is he? He said, I know not. They brought to the Pharisees
      him that aforetime was blind. And it was the sabbath day when Jesus made
      the clay, and opened his eyes. Then again the Pharisees also asked him
      how he had received his sight. He said unto them, He put clay upon mine
      eyes, and I washed, and do see. Therefore said some of the Pharisees,
      This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the sabbath day. Others
      said, How can a man that is a sinner do such miracles? And there was
      a division among them. They say unto the blind man again, What sayest
      thou of him, that he hath opened thine eyes? He said, He is a prophet.
      But the Jews did not believe concerning him, that he had been blind,
      and received his sight, until they called the parents of him that had
      received his sight. And they asked them, saying, Is this your son, who
      ye say was born blind? how then doth he now see? His parents answered
      them and said, We know that this is our son, and that he was born blind:
      But by what means he now seeth, we know not; or who hath opened his
      eyes, we know not: he is of age; ask him: he shall speak for himself.
      These words spake his parents, because they feared the Jews: for the
      Jews had agreed already, that if any man did confess that he was Christ,
      he should be put out of the synagogue. Therefore said his parents, He
      is of age; ask him. Then again called they the man that was blind, and
      said unto him, Give God the praise: we know that this man is a sinner.
      He answered and said, Whether he be a sinner or no, I know not: one thing
      I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see. Then said they to him
      again, What did he to thee? how opened he thine eyes? He answered them,
      I have told you already, and ye did not hear: wherefore would ye hear it
      again? will ye also be his disciples? Then they reviled him, and said,
      Thou art his disciple; but we are Moses' disciples. We know that God
      spake unto Moses: as for this fellow, we know not from whence he is.
      The man answered and said unto them, Why herein is a marvellous thing,
      that ye know not from whence he is, and yet he hath opened mine eyes.
      Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper
      of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth. Since the world began was
      it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind.
      If this man were not of God, he could do nothing. They answered and said
      unto him, Thou wast altogether born in sins, and dost thou teach us? And
      they cast him out. Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he
      had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God?
      He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him?
      And Jesus said unto him, Thou hast both seen him, and it is he that
      talketh with thee. And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshipped him.