852Thursday, December 20 2002 / January 2, 2003: Titus 1:5-2:1, Mark 10:17-27

    Jan 1, 2003
      passage: Titus 1:5-2:1

      Chapter 1

      For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order
      the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had
      appointed thee: If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having
      faithful children not accused of riot or unruly. For a bishop must
      be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry,
      not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; But a lover
      of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate;
      Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be
      able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.
      For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they
      of the circumcision: Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole
      houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.
      One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, the Cretians are
      alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies. This witness is true. Wherefore
      rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith; Not giving heed
      to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.
      Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and
      unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is
      defiled. They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him,
      being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

      Chapter 2

      But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:

      And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and
      kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I
      may inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou
      me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. Thou knowest the
      commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do
      not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.
      And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed
      from my youth. Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him,
      One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give
      to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up
      the cross, and follow me. And he was sad at that saying, and went away
      grieved: for he had great possessions. And Jesus looked round about,
      and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches
      enter into the kingdom of God! And the disciples were astonished at
      his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children,
      how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom
      of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle,
      than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. And they were
      astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be
      saved? And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible,
      but not with God: for with God all things are possible.