760Wednesday, September 19 / October 2, 2002: Gal 3:15-22, Luke 4:1-15

    Oct 1, 2002
      passage: Gal 3:15-3:22

      Chapter 3

      Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man's
      covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.
      Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And
      to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
      And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in
      Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot
      disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect. For if the
      inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it
      to Abraham by promise. Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added
      because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise
      was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
      Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one. Is the law
      then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a
      law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have
      been by the law. But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that
      the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

      And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was
      led by the Spirit into the wilderness, Being forty days tempted of the
      devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended,
      he afterward hungered. And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son
      of God, command this stone that it be made bread. And Jesus answered
      him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone,
      but by every word of God. And the devil, taking him up into an high
      mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment
      of time. And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee,
      and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I
      will I give it. If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.
      And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for
      it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt
      thou serve. And he brought him to Jerusalem, and set him on a pinnacle
      of the temple, and said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself
      down from hence: For it is written, He shall give his angels charge over
      thee, to keep thee: And in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at
      any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. And Jesus answering said
      unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. And when
      the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from him for a
      season. And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee:
      and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about.
      And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all.