5031Friday, May 24 / June 6, 2014: Acts 27:1-44, John 17:18-26

    Jun 5, 2014

      And when it was determined that we should sail into Italy, they delivered
      Paul and certain other prisoners unto one named Julius, a centurion of
      Augustus' band. And entering into a ship of Adramyttium, we launched,
      meaning to sail by the coasts of Asia; one Aristarchus, a Macedonian of
      Thessalonica, being with us. And the next day we touched at Sidon. And
      Julius courteously entreated Paul, and gave him liberty to go unto his
      friends to refresh himself. And when we had launched from thence, we
      sailed under Cyprus, because the winds were contrary. And when we had
      sailed over the sea of Cilicia and Pamphylia, we came to Myra, a city
      of Lycia. And there the centurion found a ship of Alexandria sailing
      into Italy; and he put us therein. And when we had sailed slowly many
      days, and scarce were come over against Cnidus, the wind not suffering
      us, we sailed under Crete, over against Salmone; And, hardly passing it,
      came unto a place which is called The fair havens; nigh whereunto was the
      city of Lasea. Now when much time was spent, and when sailing was now
      dangerous, because the fast was now already past, Paul admonished them,
      And said unto them, Sirs, I perceive that this voyage will be with hurt
      and much damage, not only of the lading and ship, but also of our lives.
      Nevertheless the centurion believed the master and the owner of the
      ship, more than those things which were spoken by Paul. And because the
      haven was not commodious to winter in, the more part advised to depart
      thence also, if by any means they might attain to Phenice, and there
      to winter; which is an haven of Crete, and lieth toward the south west
      and north west. And when the south wind blew softly, supposing that
      they had obtained their purpose, loosing thence, they sailed close
      by Crete. But not long after there arose against it a tempestuous
      wind, called Euroclydon. And when the ship was caught, and could not
      bear up into the wind, we let her drive. And running under a certain
      island which is called Clauda, we had much work to come by the boat:
      Which when they had taken up, they used helps, undergirding the ship;
      and, fearing lest they should fall into the quicksands, strake sail,
      and so were driven. And we being exceedingly tossed with a tempest,
      the next day they lightened the ship; And the third day we cast out
      with our own hands the tackling of the ship. And when neither sun nor
      stars in many days appeared, and no small tempest lay on us, all hope
      that we should be saved was then taken away. But after long abstinence
      Paul stood forth in the midst of them, and said, Sirs, ye should have
      hearkened unto me, and not have loosed from Crete, and to have gained
      this harm and loss. And now I exhort you to be of good cheer: for there
      shall be no loss of any man's life among you, but of the ship. For there
      stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve,
      Saying, Fear not, Paul; thou must be brought before Caesar: and, lo,
      God hath given thee all them that sail with thee. Wherefore, sirs, be of
      good cheer: for I believe God, that it shall be even as it was told me.
      Howbeit we must be cast upon a certain island. But when the fourteenth
      night was come, as we were driven up and down in Adria, about midnight
      the shipmen deemed that they drew near to some country; And sounded,
      and found it twenty fathoms: and when they had gone a little further,
      they sounded again, and found it fifteen fathoms. Then fearing lest we
      should have fallen upon rocks, they cast four anchors out of the stern,
      and wished for the day. And as the shipmen were about to flee out of
      the ship, when they had let down the boat into the sea, under colour
      as though they would have cast anchors out of the foreship, Paul said
      to the centurion and to the soldiers, Except these abide in the ship,
      ye cannot be saved. Then the soldiers cut off the ropes of the boat,
      and let her fall off. And while the day was coming on, Paul besought
      them all to take meat, saying, This day is the fourteenth day that ye
      have tarried and continued fasting, having taken nothing. Wherefore I
      pray you to take some meat: for this is for your health: for there
      shall not an hair fall from the head of any of you. And when he had
      thus spoken, he took bread, and gave thanks to God in presence of them
      all: and when he had broken it, he began to eat. Then were they all
      of good cheer, and they also took some meat. And we were in all in the
      ship two hundred threescore and sixteen souls. And when they had eaten
      enough, they lightened the ship, and cast out the wheat into the sea.
      And when it was day, they knew not the land: but they discovered a
      certain creek with a shore, into the which they were minded, if it
      were possible, to thrust in the ship. And when they had taken up the
      anchors, they committed themselves unto the sea, and loosed the rudder
      bands, and hoised up the mainsail to the wind, and made toward shore.
      And falling into a place where two seas met, they ran the ship aground;
      and the forepart stuck fast, and remained unmoveable, but the hinder part
      was broken with the violence of the waves. And the soldiers' counsel
      was to kill the prisoners, lest any of them should swim out, and escape.
      But the centurion, willing to save Paul, kept them from their purpose;
      and commanded that they which could swim should cast themselves first
      into the sea, and get to land: And the rest, some on boards, and some
      on broken pieces of the ship. And so it came to pass, that they escaped
      all safe to land.

      As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into
      the world. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might
      be sanctified through the truth. Neither pray I for these alone, but for
      them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all
      may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also
      may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
      And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be
      one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be
      made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me,
      and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. Father, I will that they
      also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may
      behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before
      the foundation of the world. O righteous Father, the world hath not
      known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast
      sent me. And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it:
      that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.