5021Tuesday, May 14/27, 2014: Acts 17:19-28, John 12:19-36

    May 26, 2014

      And they took him, and brought him unto Areopagus, saying, May we know
      what this new doctrine, whereof thou speakest, is? For thou bringest
      certain strange things to our ears: we would know therefore what these
      things mean. For all the Athenians and strangers which were there
      spent their time in nothing else, but either to tell, or to hear some
      new thing.) Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye
      men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.
      For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this
      inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship,
      him declare I unto you. God that made the world and all things therein,
      seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made
      with hands; Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed
      any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
      And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the
      face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed,
      and the bounds of their habitation; That they should seek the Lord, if
      haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from
      every one of us: For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as
      certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

      The Pharisees therefore said among themselves, Perceive ye how ye prevail
      nothing? behold, the world is gone after him. And there were certain
      Greeks among them that came up to worship at the feast: The same came
      therefore to Philip, which was of Bethsaida of Galilee, and desired him,
      saying, Sir, we would see Jesus. Philip cometh and telleth Andrew: and
      again Andrew and Philip tell Jesus. And Jesus answered them, saying,
      The hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified. Verily,
      verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground
      and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.
      He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in
      this world shall keep it unto life eternal. If any man serve me, let
      him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any
      man serve me, him will my Father honour. Now is my soul troubled; and
      what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause
      came I unto this hour. Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a
      voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify
      it again. The people therefore, that stood by, and heard it, said that
      it thundered: others said, An angel spake to him. Jesus answered and
      said, This voice came not because of me, but for your sakes. Now is the
      judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.
      And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
      This he said, signifying what death he should die. The people answered
      him, We have heard out of the law that Christ abideth for ever: and how
      sayest thou, The Son of man must be lifted up? who is this Son of man?
      Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk
      while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh
      in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth. While ye have light, believe
      in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake
      Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them.