5010Friday, May 3/16, 2014: Acts 10:44-11:10, John 8:21-30

    May 15, 2014

      While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them
      which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were
      astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles
      also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. For they heard them
      speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, Can any man
      forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received
      the Holy Ghost as well as we? And he commanded them to be baptized in
      the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

      Chapter 11

      And the apostles and brethren that were in Judaea heard that the
      Gentiles had also received the word of God. And when Peter was come
      up to Jerusalem, they that were of the circumcision contended with him,
      Saying, Thou wentest in to men uncircumcised, and didst eat with them.
      But Peter rehearsed the matter from the beginning, and expounded it by
      order unto them, saying, I was in the city of Joppa praying: and in a
      trance I saw a vision, A certain vessel descend, as it had been a great
      sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came even to me:
      Upon the which when I had fastened mine eyes, I considered, and saw
      fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things,
      and fowls of the air. And I heard a voice saying unto me, Arise, Peter;
      slay and eat. But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean
      hath at any time entered into my mouth. But the voice answered me
      again from heaven, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
      And this was done three times: and all were drawn up again into heaven.

      Then said Jesus again unto them, I go my way, and ye shall seek me, and
      shall die in your sins: whither I go, ye cannot come. Then said the
      Jews, Will he kill himself? because he saith, Whither I go, ye cannot
      come. And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye
      are of this world; I am not of this world. I said therefore unto you,
      that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye
      shall die in your sins. Then said they unto him, Who art thou? And Jesus
      saith unto them, Even the same that I said unto you from the beginning.
      I have many things to say and to judge of you: but he that sent me is
      true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of him.
      They understood not that he spake to them of the Father. Then said
      Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye
      know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father
      hath taught me, I speak these things. And he that sent me is with me:
      the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that
      please him. As he spake these words, many believed on him.