4965Tuesday, March 19 / April 1, 2014: Isa 40:18-31, Gen 15:1-15, Prov 15:7-19

    Mar 31, 2014
      passage: Isa 40:18-40:31

      Chapter 40

      To whom then will ye liken God? or what likeness will ye compare unto
      him? The workman melteth a graven image, and the goldsmith spreadeth it
      over with gold, and casteth silver chains. He that is so impoverished
      that he hath no oblation chooseth a tree that will not rot; he seeketh
      unto him a cunning workman to prepare a graven image, that shall not
      be moved. Have ye not known? have ye not heard? hath it not been told
      you from the beginning? have ye not understood from the foundations of
      the earth? It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the
      inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens
      as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in: That bringeth
      the princes to nothing; he maketh the judges of the earth as vanity.
      Yea, they shall not be planted; yea, they shall not be sown: yea, their
      stock shall not take root in the earth: and he shall also blow upon them,
      and they shall wither, and the whirlwind shall take them away as stubble.
      To whom then will ye liken me, or shall I be equal? saith the Holy One.
      Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things,
      that bringeth out their host by number: he calleth them all by names
      by the greatness of his might, for that he is strong in power; not
      one faileth. Why sayest thou, O Jacob, and speakest, O Israel, My
      way is hid from the LORD, and my judgment is passed over from my God?
      Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God,
      the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither
      is weary? there is no searching of his understanding. He giveth power
      to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.
      Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly
      fall: But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they
      shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary;
      and they shall walk, and not faint.

      passage: Gen 15:1-15:15

      Chapter 15

      After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision,
      saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.
      And Abram said, LORD God, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless,
      and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus? And Abram
      said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my
      house is mine heir. And, behold, the word of the LORD came unto him,
      saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth
      out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir. And he brought him forth
      abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou
      be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be.
      And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.
      And he said unto him, I am the LORD that brought thee out of Ur of the
      Chaldees, to give thee this land to inherit it. And he said, LORD God,
      whereby shall I know that I shall inherit it? And he said unto him,
      Take me an heifer of three years old, and a she goat of three years old,
      and a ram of three years old, and a turtledove, and a young pigeon.
      And he took unto him all these, and divided them in the midst, and
      laid each piece one against another: but the birds divided he not.
      And when the fowls came down upon the carcases, Abram drove them away.
      And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and,
      lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him. And he said unto Abram,
      Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not
      their's, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred
      years; And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and
      afterward shall they come out with great substance. And thou shalt go
      to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age.

      passage: Prov 15:7-15:19

      The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish
      doeth not so. The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the
      LORD: but the prayer of the upright is his delight. The way of the
      wicked is an abomination unto the LORD: but he loveth him that followeth
      after righteousness. Correction is grievous unto him that forsaketh
      the way: and he that hateth reproof shall die. Hell and destruction
      are before the LORD: how much more then the hearts of the children
      of men? A scorner loveth not one that reproveth him: neither will
      he go unto the wise. A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance:
      but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken. The heart of him
      that hath understanding seeketh knowledge: but the mouth of fools
      feedeth on foolishness. All the days of the afflicted are evil: but
      he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast. Better is little
      with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and trouble therewith.
      Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred
      therewith. A wrathful man stirreth up strife: but he that is slow to
      anger appeaseth strife. The way of the slothful man is as an hedge of
      thorns: but the way of the righteous is made plain.