4963Sunday, March 17/30, 2014: Commemoration of St. John of the Ladder: Heb 6:13-20, Mark 9:17-31

    Mar 29, 2014
      passage: Heb 6:13-6:20

      Chapter 6

      For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no
      greater, he sware by himself, Saying, Surely blessing I will bless
      thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee. And so, after he had
      patiently endured, he obtained the promise. For men verily swear by the
      greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife.
      Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise
      the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath: That by two
      immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might
      have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon
      the hope set before us: Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul,
      both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;
      Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high
      priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

      And one of the multitude answered and said, Master, I have brought unto
      thee my son, which hath a dumb spirit; And wheresoever he taketh him,
      he teareth him: and he foameth, and gnasheth with his teeth, and pineth
      away: and I spake to thy disciples that they should cast him out; and
      they could not. He answereth him, and saith, O faithless generation,
      how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him
      unto me. And they brought him unto him: and when he saw him, straightway
      the spirit tare him; and he fell on the ground, and wallowed foaming.
      And he asked his father, How long is it ago since this came unto
      him? And he said, Of a child. And ofttimes it hath cast him into
      the fire, and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do
      any thing, have compassion on us, and help us. Jesus said unto him,
      If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.
      And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with
      tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. When Jesus saw that
      the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying
      unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him,
      and enter no more into him. And the spirit cried, and rent him sore,
      and came out of him: and he was as one dead; insomuch that many said,
      He is dead. But Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted him up; and
      he arose. And when he was come into the house, his disciples asked him
      privately, Why could not we cast him out? And he said unto them, This
      kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting. And they
      departed thence, and passed through Galilee; and he would not that any
      man should know it. For he taught his disciples, and said unto them,
      The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill
      him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day.