4950Monday, March 4/17, 2014: Isa 8:13-9:7, Gen 6:9-22, Prov 8:1-21

    Mar 16, 2014
      passage: Isa 8:13-9:7

      Chapter 8

      Sanctify the LORD of hosts himself; and let him be your fear, and let
      him be your dread. And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone
      of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel,
      for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem. And many
      among them shall stumble, and fall, and be broken, and be snared,
      and be taken. Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples.
      And I will wait upon the LORD, that hideth his face from the house of
      Jacob, and I will look for him. Behold, I and the children whom the
      LORD hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the LORD
      of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion. And when they shall say unto
      you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that
      peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for
      the living to the dead? To the law and to the testimony: if they
      speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light
      in them. And they shall pass through it, hardly bestead and hungry:
      and it shall come to pass, that when they shall be hungry, they shall
      fret themselves, and curse their king and their God, and look upward.
      And they shall look unto the earth; and behold trouble and darkness,
      dimness of anguish; and they shall be driven to darkness.

      Chapter 9

      Nevertheless the dimness shall not be such as was in her vexation,
      when at the first he lightly afflicted the land of Zebulun and the
      land of Naphtali, and afterward did more grievously afflict her by the
      way of the sea, beyond Jordan, in Galilee of the nations. The people
      that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in
      the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.
      Thou hast multiplied the nation, and not increased the joy: they joy
      before thee according to the joy in harvest, and as men rejoice when
      they divide the spoil. For thou hast broken the yoke of his burden,
      and the staff of his shoulder, the rod of his oppressor, as in the day
      of Midian. For every battle of the warrior is with confused noise,
      and garments rolled in blood; but this shall be with burning and
      fuel of fire. For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given:
      and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be
      called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father,
      The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there
      shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order
      it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth
      even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.

      passage: Gen 6:9-6:22

      Chapter 6

      These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in
      his generations, and Noah walked with God. And Noah begat three sons,
      Shem, Ham, and Japheth. The earth also was corrupt before God, and
      the earth was filled with violence. And God looked upon the earth,
      and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon
      the earth. And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before
      me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold,
      I will destroy them with the earth. Make thee an ark of gopher wood;
      rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without
      with pitch. And this is the fashion which thou shalt make it of:
      The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, the breadth of
      it fifty cubits, and the height of it thirty cubits. A window shalt
      thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and
      the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof; with lower,
      second, and third stories shalt thou make it. And, behold, I, even
      I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh,
      wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that
      is in the earth shall die. But with thee will I establish my covenant;
      and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife,
      and thy sons' wives with thee. And of every living thing of all flesh,
      two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with
      thee; they shall be male and female. Of fowls after their kind, and
      of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after
      his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.
      And take thou unto thee of all food that is eaten, and thou shalt
      gather it to thee; and it shall be for food for thee, and for them.
      Thus did Noah; according to all that God commanded him, so did he.

      passage: Prov 8:1-8:21

      Chapter 8

      Doth not wisdom cry? and understanding put forth her voice? She standeth
      in the top of high places, by the way in the places of the paths.
      She crieth at the gates, at the entry of the city, at the coming in at
      the doors. Unto you, O men, I call; and my voice is to the sons of man.
      O ye simple, understand wisdom: and, ye fools, be ye of an understanding
      heart. Hear; for I will speak of excellent things; and the opening of
      my lips shall be right things. For my mouth shall speak truth; and
      wickedness is an abomination to my lips. All the words of my mouth
      are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them.
      They are all plain to him that understandeth, and right to them that
      find knowledge. Receive my instruction, and not silver; and knowledge
      rather than choice gold. For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the
      things that may be desired are not to be compared to it. I wisdom dwell
      with prudence, and find out knowledge of witty inventions. The fear
      of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way,
      and the froward mouth, do I hate. Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom:
      I am understanding; I have strength. By me kings reign, and princes
      decree justice. By me princes rule, and nobles, even all the judges
      of the earth. I love them that love me; and those that seek me early
      shall find me. Riches and honour are with me; yea, durable riches
      and righteousness. My fruit is better than gold, yea, than fine gold;
      and my revenue than choice silver. I lead in the way of righteousness,
      in the midst of the paths of judgment: That I may cause those that love
      me to inherit substance; and I will fill their treasures.