4888Tuesday, January 1/14, 2014: The Circumcision of Christ: Col 2:8-12, Luke 2:20-21,40-52

    Jan 13, 2014
      passage: Col 2:8-2:12

      Chapter 2

      Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after
      the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after
      Christ. For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
      And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and
      power: In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made
      without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by
      the circumcision of Christ: Buried with him in baptism, wherein also
      ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who
      hath raised him from the dead.

      passage: Luke 2:20-2:21

      And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the
      things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them. And when
      eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his
      name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was
      conceived in the womb.

      passage: Luke 2:40-2:52

      And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom:
      and the grace of God was upon him. Now his parents went to Jerusalem
      every year at the feast of the passover. And when he was twelve years
      old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast. And when
      they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried
      behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it. But they,
      supposing him to have been in the company, went a day's journey; and they
      sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintance. And when they found
      him not, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking him. And it came
      to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in
      the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.
      And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.
      And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto
      him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and
      I have sought thee sorrowing. And he said unto them, How is it that
      ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?
      And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them. And he
      went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them:
      but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart. And Jesus increased
      in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.