357Thursday, July 20 / August 2, 2001: 1Cor 14:6-19, Matt 20:17-28

    Aug 1, 2001

      Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall
      I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by
      knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine? And even things without
      life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction
      in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped? For if
      the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to
      the battle? So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy
      to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall
      speak into the air. There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in
      the world, and none of them is without signification. Therefore if I
      know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a
      barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me. Even so
      ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may
      excel to the edifying of the church. Wherefore let him that speaketh
      in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. For if I pray in an
      unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
      What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the
      understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with
      the understanding also. Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit,
      how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at
      thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
      For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.
      I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: Yet in the church
      I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice
      I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

      And Jesus going up to Jerusalem took the twelve disciples apart in the
      way, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son
      of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes,
      and they shall condemn him to death, And shall deliver him to the
      Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day
      he shall rise again. Then came to him the mother of Zebedees children
      with her sons, worshipping him, and desiring a certain thing of him.
      And he said unto her, What wilt thou? She saith unto him, Grant that
      these my two sons may sit, the one on thy right hand, and the other on
      the left, in thy kingdom. But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not
      what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of,
      and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say
      unto him, We are able. And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed
      of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with:
      but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give,
      but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.
      And when the ten heard it, they were moved with indignation against the
      two brethren. But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that
      the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that
      are great exercise authority upon them. But it shall not be so among
      you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;
      And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: Even
      as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister,
      and to give his life a ransom for many.