3535Sunday, April 19 / May 2, 2010: Sunday of the Samaritan Woman: Acts 11:19-26, 29-30, John 4:5-42

    May 1, 2010

      Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose
      about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch,
      preaching the word to none but unto the Jews only. And some of them
      were men of Cyprus and Cyrene, which, when they were come to Antioch,
      spake unto the Grecians, preaching the LORD Jesus. And the hand of
      the Lord was with them: and a great number believed, and turned unto
      the Lord. Then tidings of these things came unto the ears of the church
      which was in Jerusalem: and they sent forth Barnabas, that he should go
      as far as Antioch. Who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God,
      was glad, and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would
      cleave unto the Lord. For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost
      and of faith: and much people was added unto the Lord. Then departed
      Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul: And when he had found him, he
      brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they
      assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the
      disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

      passage: Acts 11:29-11:30

      Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to
      send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judaea: Which also they did,
      and sent it to the elders by the hands of Barnabas and Saul.

      Then cometh he to a city of Samaria, which is called Sychar, near to
      the parcel of ground that Jacob gave to his son Joseph. Now Jacob's
      well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied with his journey, sat
      thus on the well: and it was about the sixth hour. There cometh a
      woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink.
      For his disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.) Then saith
      the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest
      drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings
      with the Samaritans. Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest
      the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink;
      thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living
      water. The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with,
      and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?
      Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and
      drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle? Jesus answered
      and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
      But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never
      thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of
      water springing up into everlasting life. The woman saith unto him,
      Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw.
      Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither. The woman
      answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast
      well said, I have no husband: For thou hast had five husbands; and
      he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly.
      The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet.
      Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem
      is the place where men ought to worship. Jesus saith unto her, Woman,
      believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain,
      nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. Ye worship ye know not what:
      we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour
      cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father
      in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
      God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit
      and in truth. The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh,
      which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.
      Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he. And upon this
      came his disciples, and marvelled that he talked with the woman: yet no
      man said, What seekest thou? or, Why talkest thou with her? The woman
      then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to
      the men, Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is
      not this the Christ? Then they went out of the city, and came unto him.
      In the mean while his disciples prayed him, saying, Master, eat. But he
      said unto them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of. Therefore said
      the disciples one to another, Hath any man brought him ought to eat?
      Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent
      me, and to finish his work. Say not ye, There are yet four months,
      and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes,
      and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest. And he
      that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal:
      that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together.
      And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth. I sent
      you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured,
      and ye are entered into their labours. And many of the Samaritans of
      that city believed on him for the saying of the woman, which testified,
      He told me all that ever I did. So when the Samaritans were come unto
      him, they besought him that he would tarry with them: and he abode
      there two days. And many more believed because of his own word; And
      said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for
      we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ,
      the Saviour of the world.