3082Monday, January 20 / February 2, 2009: 1Peter 2:21-3:9, Mark 12:13-17

    Feb 1 9:10 PM
      passage: 1Peter 2:21-3:9

      Chapter 2

      For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us,
      leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: Who did no
      sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: Who, when he was reviled,
      reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed
      himself to him that judgeth righteously: Who his own self bare our sins
      in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live
      unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. For ye were as
      sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop
      of your souls.

      Chapter 3

      Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if
      any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the
      conversation of the wives; While they behold your chaste conversation
      coupled with fear. Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning
      of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of
      apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is
      not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is
      in the sight of God of great price. For after this manner in the old
      time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being
      in subjection unto their own husbands: Even as Sara obeyed Abraham,
      calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and
      are not afraid with any amazement. Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with
      them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the
      weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that
      your prayers be not hindered. Finally, be ye all of one mind, having
      compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:
      Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise
      blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit
      a blessing.

      And they send unto him certain of the Pharisees and of the Herodians,
      to catch him in his words. And when they were come, they say unto
      him, Master, we know that thou art true, and carest for no man: for
      thou regardest not the person of men, but teachest the way of God in
      truth: Is it lawful to give tribute to Caesar, or not? Shall we give,
      or shall we not give? But he, knowing their hypocrisy, said unto them,
      Why tempt ye me? bring me a penny, that I may see it. And they brought
      it. And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? And
      they said unto him, Caesar's. And Jesus answering said unto them,
      Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things
      that are God's. And they marvelled at him.