dahlia smut

  • William F. Matthews
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 24, 2007
      I had the right conditions.   I rototilled in 2-3" of composted horse manure before planting.   A wet cold Spring with a deluge for splashing....

      NOTE:  The spots appeared on many plants at the same time.   It didn't progress from one plant to another.   I believe the problem spores came with the composted manure.     I also had slow-release fertilizer pellets spread around the base of the plants - fretted into the soil.     I too am considering a bleach drench........ and a purchase of Funginex.

         Billy

      William F. Matthews
      65 Witch Hazel Road
      Portugal Cove-St. Philip's, NL
      Canada
      A1M 3N3
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 24, 2007
        Planting too close together won't help aeration.    I will make the spacing wider, TOO.

           Billy

        William F. Matthews
        65 Witch Hazel Road
        Portugal Cove-St. Philip's, NL
        Canada
        A1M 3N3
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 26, 2007
          I have never had dahlia smut in my garden until this year. We went on
          vacation for a week, the plants were fine when we left when we came back
          both gardens were spotted. I believe that the fungus is airborne. I will
          do some investigation into it to see where it comes from. A friend that
          lives 3 miles away does not have it in his garden.
        • ken stock
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 27, 2007
            Yep I reckon it could be, and I'm certain it can be transmitted on green young cutting if the nurserymen aren't hygienic enough. We the amateur's are in the main over cautious, and just as well we are. I don't expect it can live deep in the soil, but probably exists in the first few inches, but how do you find out? I can tell you at it's worse, it is as debilitating as any other fungus, and it saps the life out of other wise healthy plants. Once it's there it has to be killed off, I certainly won't stop till I've eradicated it. I want my healthy garden back again.

            The healthiest plants I bought this year in the Spring were from Station House nursery, the father and son team work as hard as any I know. Email: Sion Jones sion@... unfortunately he has no pot tubers for sale this in 2008 just cuttings.

            Ken UK.

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 27, 2007
              You have to spray Ken. No wishing or magic is going to save you. Eradication is almost impossible and even if you did, it would be back from your neighbours. CONTROL is the only option.
              wayne

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 27, 2007
                I thought I might be being to optimistic, but now I've got you answering, what with? I used a systemic one, and also took the bottom leaves off, and after that I sprayed again with a Copper base spray. Can't I sterilize this Winter, and the next year from the very start add fungicide it to my insecticide programme?  So nice to hear you on here Wayne.

                Best to Pat.

                Ken UK.

                You have to spray Ken. No wishing or magic is going to save you. Eradication is almost impossible and even if you did, it would be back from your neighbours. CONTROL is the only option.
                wayne
                On 27-Sep-07, at 12:55 AM, ken stock wrote:

                Yep I reckon it could be, and I'm certain it can be transmitted on green young cutting if the nurserymen aren't hygienic enough. We the amateur's are in the main over cautious, and just as well we are. I don't expect it can live deep in the soil, but probably exists in the first few inches, but how do you find out? I can tell you at it's worse, it is as debilitating as any other fungus, and it saps the life out of other wise healthy plants. Once it's there it has to be killed off, I certainly won't stop till I've eradicated it. I want my healthy garden back again.

                The healthiest plants I bought this year in the Spring were from Station House nursery, the father and son team work as hard as any I know. Email: Sion Jones sion@eurodahlia. com unfortunately he has no pot tubers for sale this in 2008 just cuttings.

                Ken UK.

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 27, 2007
                  HI everyone.
                     Just a thought but when you dig up the dahlia and divide them could you also bag and label them according to what they are, then you could sell them in spring like most retail store's do but instead have like a little farmers market.  We have that here in the U.S. but they usually sell veggies and fruit goods just a thought. You could also grow them for cuttings (For  vases) and sell them that way just charge a couple of pounds for a bundle being the supreme grower you all are.
                  Josh

                • Teresa Bergman
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 27, 2007

                    This has probably been answered before, but I don’t remember.  What should one spray with?

                    Teresa

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 27, 2007
                      http://www.members.shaw.ca/hydahlia/smut.html
                      wayne

                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 27, 2007
                        Know wonder you were?are a chemist, so direct, no waffling like me, to the point, and of course look at your web site. It's all there.

                        Thank you Wayne although I will never see you, never be in you presents, never be able to argue, thank you from a UK buddy.

                        Ken.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 27, 2007
                          My first year for it, too.

                          I have no problem believing it came from the soil a/c 4"-6" of rain on Aug
                          1.... after a cold Spring that lasted.... It occurred throughout a dahlia
                          bed simoultaneously. September has been very dry, without much wind
                          either. The disease is slowly climbing the plants. And we can have
                          frost any time now.........

                          I also saw it in a friend's garden (10 miles away)......

                          A fungus that becomes airborne is called a virus as I recall.

                          Billy

                          William F. Matthews
                          65 Witch Hazel Road
                          Portugal Cove-St. Philip's, NL
                          Canada
                          A1M 3N3

                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 27, 2007
                            Is it definitely airborne Wayne/Billy?

                            Ken.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 27, 2007
                              no. not possibly true.
                              wayne

                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 27, 2007
                                This Newf thanks you too Wayne.

                                NOTE:  The potato disease here is in the soil.... deep in the soil.      I asked about soil treatment.   Very difficult to eradicate as it will resurface with digging.

                                It is apparent that fertile conditions PLUS wet PLUS cold are the right conditions for Smut to get going......... while the plants are not happy.       I would get mouldy in wet and cold conditions!!!  (it looks like mould on bread)

                                   Billy

                                William F. Matthews
                                65 Witch Hazel Road
                                Portugal Cove-St. Philip's, NL
                                Canada
                                A1M 3N3

                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 27, 2007
                                  Ah -ha, so how does it transport it's self? Is it only spread by stock, or by the wind like mildew?

                                  Wayne I have a neighbour to my left, he is situated due SW of me. Every year his Hydrangea has mildew, and it spreads this infernal disease straight down my side entrance and anything in its path gets the same disease. Should I buy him a Camellia, and up root the old Hydrangea?

                                  Ken.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 27, 2007
                                    A fungus that becomes airborne becomes a nuisance, and is still a fungus, but in a dry state to propagate.

                                    Ken.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 27, 2007
                                      From my research so far it seems that smut can travel in the air from
                                      other plants and land on dahlias and then the spores drop to the ground.
                                      I looked at my gardens today most plants have the spotted leaves almost
                                      at the top. These plants are on the prevailing wind side of the gardens.
                                      I am surrounded by pasture land so I assume that it blew in from there.
                                      Now that it is here I will have to treat it to control it. I will look
                                      into what fungicides are recommended on it. When using fungicides you
                                      need to change what you spray frequently or the fungus will build up a
                                      tolerance. Also fungicides are very toxic to humans, read the labels and
                                      wear the proper safety gear.
                                      Wayne Lobaugh