information

  • cornel fleming
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 18, 2005
      shabat shalom to all. here is the latest info i have gathered through my
      czernowitz agent. it is currently fully accurate but there is a possibility
      that by next year there will be flights to cz. from outside the ukraine.
      currently we can fly to kiev or lwiw(lemberg). lviv or lwiw(take your pick!)
      has flightconnections with frankfurt,vienna and warsaw. frankfurt-lviv
      tuesd and frid dep 12.10 arr. 14.10. lviv- frankfurt tues and frid dep
      9.05, arr.11.05. vienna-lviv on monday ,wednesday,friday and sunday dep.
      14.15, arr.15.45. lviv-vienna same days, dep 16.20, arr.17.35.
      warsaw-lviv daily. dep. 12.25 ,arr.13.45, return 14.10 with arr 16.00
      from lviv it is about 5 hrs by car or bus, and it is a fascinating drive
      through " fiddler on the roof "villages.....the shtetls are still there just
      the jews are not! kiev is the capital so has worldwide connections.
      there is an internal flight to cz. daily dep 15.10 arr.in cz.16.40.
      for those who want to go via bucharest, there is a daily train to suceava.
      from there one has to be collected by car. this i am told is the most
      expensive way to go., but if anyone particularly wants this it can be
      arranged. now, in czernowitz itself. both the cheremosh
      and the bukowina have rooms with aircon but only 5-6 rooms each so
      equipped.. but, the bukowina has just done a major renovation and upgrade
      of most of the rooms and their restaurant i am told is also very good. from
      personal experience the cheremosh food is adequate but not exactly a
      culinary sensation, and their breakfast is designed for compulsive slimmers!
      i have been in contact with the town hall (rathaus to you!) and there is a
      provisional reception for those who want to come laid on for the afternoon
      of the 19th. the mayor cannot guarantee to be there however since there are
      city elections in march and he might not survive!!! next, the rabbi
      is very willing to say kaddish with and for us at the memorial to our
      people shot by the germans, and any who wifsh to attend shul are very
      welcome. a daytrip to transnistria is also possible. guides and
      cars/buses can be sorted as and when required. i agree that all the
      available details should go to die stimme ,the result could be more of us
      going! and now it is up to all of you to sit down by your keyboards and
      have your say. cornel
    • jfa2000@mymailstation.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 18, 2005
        Thank you Cornel for all the good information. I have a question: do you know which airlines make the flight from Vienna to Lviv? And from Vienna to Kiev?

        Also when you say "by next year", does that mean by May? Or in sufficient time for us to cancel other flights if one becomes available (by what airline?) directly to Czernowitz from outside Ukraine, which of course would be the best of all possible worlds... ?

        I really appreciate all the hard work being done by the committee. And, if I have neglected to respond to any information/queries over this past week, it's because our e-mail server connection was somehow disconnected, and I've lost everything both incoming and outgoing. Even though it was out of my control I apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused anyone.... But we're back on-line now.

        Til later. Jessica, San Diego, CA

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 19, 2005
          hi, the answer to your question...rfrom vienna it is a joint flight of
          aua(austrian airlines) and ukrainia air., to both cities. re direct
          flights,impossible to say,currently just a rumour even though it comes from
          airline sources. cornel

        • jfa2000@mymailstation.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 19, 2005
            Much appreciated. I know you'll let us know if rumor turns to fact.... -- Thanks again. Jessie

            > Thank you Cornel for all the good information. I have a question: do you
            > know which airlines make the flight from Vienna to Lviv? And from Vienna
            > to Kiev?
            >
            > Also when you say "by next year", does that mean by May? Or in sufficient
            > time for us to cancel other flights if one becomes available (by what
            > airline?) directly to Czernowitz from outside Ukraine, which of course
            > would be the best of all possible worlds... ?
            >
            > I really appreciate all the hard work being done by the committee. And, if
            > I have neglected to respond to any information/queries over this past
            > week, it's because our e-mail server connection was somehow disconnected,
            > and I've lost everything both incoming and outgoing. Even though it was
            > out of my control I apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused
            > anyone.... But we're back on-line now.
            >
            > Til later. Jessica, San Diego, CA

          • Abraham Kogan
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 21, 2005
              Hi, Dear Czernowitzers,
              The proposed travel to Cz. via Lwów (Lviv/Lemberg) sounds to be the most realistic option. I do not like the idea to travel via Kiev and continue with those lousy small turbo-prop planes for a one and a half hour flight to Cz. Two of my friends traveling from time to time to Western Ukraine shtetels told me about the various options available in Lviv. I have not yet managed to contact the travel agent in Israel who reportedly has excellent connections in Lviv, both from the airport as well as from hotels in the city that have appropriate arrangements for travel by taxi, mini-buses or buses (in the case of larger groups). It is a matter of five hours travel and the roads are not bad at all.
              I'll let you know as soon as I have more details.
              Regards, Abraham Kogan
              > Thank you Cornel for all the good information. I have a question: do you
              > know which airlines make the flight from Vienna to Lviv? And from Vienna
              > to Kiev?
              >
              > Also when you say "by next year", does that mean by May? Or in sufficient
              > time for us to cancel other flights if one becomes available (by what
              > airline?) directly to Czernowitz from outside Ukraine, which of course
              > would be the best of all possible worlds... ?
              >
              > I really appreciate all the hard work being done by the committee. And, if
              > I have neglected to respond to any information/queries over this past
              > week, it's because our e-mail server connection was somehow disconnected,
              > and I've lost everything both incoming and outgoing. Even though it was
              > out of my control I apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused
              > anyone.... But we're back on-line now.
              >
              > Til later. Jessica, San Diego, CA

              http://www.eset.com

            • Arthur von Czernowitz
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 21, 2005
                Mr. Kogan
                According to your e-mail address you live in Israel.
                Here is the schedule to Lvov from Tel Aviv and it operates right now but
                depending on your day of travel.

                OS860 TLV-VIE 07:00-10:00
                OS381 VIE-LVO 13:15-15:35

                OS382 LVO-VIE 16:10-1645
                OS859 VIE-TLV 20:10-00:35
                Price $630.00 aprox.

                To find this out all you have to do is use your computer and do not
                listen to rumors.

                FYI OS381 and OS382 is operated with "De Havilland DHC-8 Dash 8" this
                airplane is one of those lousy small turbo-prop planes.

                Regards
                Arthur