Re: [czernowitz2006] A personal experience

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2006

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I would like to share a personal experience I had earlier this week at the
      > Internal Medicine ward where I work at the Meir General hospital in Kefar
      > Sava. I entered room no. 10 during our morning rounds, and saw an elderly
      > lady reading a German newspaper. The computer sheet stated that she was born
      > in the former soviet union - a match that could only mean one thing. She
      > then remarked something concerning the air conditioning, in German - and the
      > accent was right. I asked her where she was born, and she started to mumble
      > about today's Ukraine but insisted very firmly on being Austrian. "Well
      > then, you are from Cz", I said. "Yes I am, I was born in Cz", she answered.
      > "Have you ever heard of it?", she asked. "Well yes, I have," I answered, and
      > then, having returned from Cz just recently, I continued - "and on which
      > street in Cz exactly did you live?"
      > At this point she stared at me, bewildered, and mumbled: "On the
      > Rathausstrasse...". But I didn't give up - "Was it down the street, close to
      > the Ringplatz, or a bit more upwards?"... At this point I had to confess and
      > tell her about visiting the place myself recently.....
      > What a feeling of intimacy.
      > Danny

      Hi All,

      Sentimental fool that I am, this anecdote brings tears to my eyes and
      convinces me to tell you about a personal experience I had recently.
      My husband and I were on vacation in Stockholm. One evening we were in the
      internet room of the hotel, checking our respective E-mail. The room
      contained two computers and we were using both, when a man entered and asked
      in English whether he could soon use one of them. Hearing his accent,
      looking at him, assorted bells went off in my mind, without hesitation I
      said: Are you from Czernowitz? No, the man answered, "from Khuti, but I have
      lived in Vienna, Sweden, Israel and now in Toronto Canada. My name is
      Margulis and my mother and sister live in Holon". He then proceeded to tell
      us quite a good joke. Who but a Bukowiner?

      Nissim, nissim ve-neflues!

      Mimi
    • Gabriele Weissmann
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 13, 2006
        -------- Original-Nachricht --------
        Datum: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:20:07 +0200
        Von: Danny and Sharon Alon <alonltd2@...>
        An: Czernowitz-L@..., \'CZERNOWITZ 2006 YAHOO LIST\' <czernowitz2006@yahoogroups.com>
        Betreff: [czernowitz2006] A personal experience

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I would like to share a personal experience I had earlier this week at the
        > Internal Medicine ward where I work at the Meir General hospital in Kefar
        > Sava. I entered room no. 10 during our morning rounds, and saw an elderly
        > lady reading a German newspaper. The computer sheet stated that she was
        > born
        > in the former soviet union - a match that could only mean one thing. She
        > then remarked something concerning the air conditioning, in German - and
        > the
        > accent was right. I asked her where she was born, and she started to
        > mumble
        > about today's Ukraine but insisted very firmly on being Austrian. "Well
        > then, you are from Cz", I said. "Yes I am, I was born in Cz", she
        > answered.
        > "Have you ever heard of it?", she asked. "Well yes, I have," I answered,
        > and
        > then, having returned from Cz just recently, I continued - "and on which
        > street in Cz exactly did you live?"
        > At this point she stared at me, bewildered, and mumbled: "On the
        > Rathausstrasse...". But I didn't give up - "Was it down the street, close
        > the Ringplatz, or a bit more upwards?"... At this point I had to confess
        > and
        > tell her about visiting the place myself recently.....
        > What a feeling of intimacy.
        > Danny

        > Hello, Renunion friends,
        I also feel I must add another memory of such "meetings": one day, about 12 years ago, in Berlin I went shopping to buy some nice shoes for an event which was to take place for the first time there: the first Jewish Culture Festival. The shop was empty, and I found nothing suitable, so I was just leaving, when, at the entrance, I saw a couple looking at shoes, and passing by, I heard them speak an unusual but very familiar German.
        I came closer, looked at them and said, like through a dream, looking at the woman:" are you not Lya Koenig?" Yes, she said, very surprised, and who
        are you? I am Mocca/Martins¨(my uncle from Florida) niece. She and her husband,Herschale, who is unfortunately dead now, came up to me, embraced me and said something like :"how did you know, etc. " I don´t really know how I knew, I had last seen Lya in Anna Frank in Romania in 1959, and not since, but I somehow knew it. They had come to Berlin for the Jewish Festival, and Zwi or Herschale was a good friend of my uncle.
        This is the story, probably the Czernowitz accent had attracted me and somehow my mind make the connection with the Festival. But Lya has made
        a wonderful sketch of this meeting, one should hear her tell it!!!
        Gabriele