Re: [Cz-L] Czernowitzer Convention in Israel

  • Lucca
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11 9:19 PM
      Usually when we mention a "Czernowitz meeting" it includes all of the Bucovina, I suppose. After all we share background, culture, language, upbringing, habits, with the people from Suceava, Campulung, Dorna, Wiznitz...etc...
      In truth, we should call it "Bucovina reunion", but since Czernowitz was the capital, we simply got into the habit of relating only to this main city a habit which may not be right.
      Secondly, we are trying to uphold a certain tradition and unfortunately many of us are no longer alive, so it makes a lot of sense to get united and try to convey to our children and future generations the spirit of the Bucovina as a whole, a quite unusual land with a multitude of influences and characteristics.
      Would you please comment?
      Thanks, Lucca

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11 11:09 PM

        > Usually when we mention a "Czernowitz meeting" it includes all of the
        > Bucovina, I suppose. After all we share background, culture, language,
        > upbringing, habits, with the people from Suceava, Campulung, Dorna,
        > Wiznitz...etc...
        > In truth, we should call it "Bucovina reunion", but since Czernowitz was the
        > capital, we simply got into the habit of relating only to this main city a
        > habit which may not be right.
        > Secondly, we are trying to uphold a certain tradition and unfortunately many
        > of us are no longer alive, so it makes a lot of sense to get united and try to
        > convey to our children and future generations the spirit of the Bucovina as a
        > whole, a quite unusual land with a multitude of influences and
        > characteristics.
        > Would you please comment?
        > Thanks, Lucca

        I wholeheartedly agree with Lucca and Nathan that we should include all
        Bukowiner in the proposed meeting.

        Mimi
      • elhod
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 12 7:18 AM
          Hi all,

          When we are talking about Czernowitz we are referring to the whole region Bukovina and its herritage and culture for the jews who lived there.

          I agree with Lucca.

          About the Logistics:

          Three days would be nice. and a Hotel could be arranged by the Israelian. Chanukka is a good date.There should be a schedule of lectures about what ment Bukovina waqs for us and .

          Tel-Aviv is a good place to held the reunion, because more people live in the area and the variety of Hotels.

          I would be more than glad to assisst in organizing.

          Regards,

          Yehudit Yerushalmi-Terris
        • Jerry Lapides
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 12 10:13 AM
            I think that the reunion should not be over organized. Unless there will be
            conversation space for people to exchange memories and ideas, I think it
            will become an academic boring conference. Tel Aviv is good because there
            are many Czernowitzer decedents in the area. I can name at least 10.

            There is an effective model for such a reunion it is titled "Open Space
            Technology" by Owen Harrison. I will be glad to provide an over view.
            However the book is short and most engaging.

            Jerry Lapides, Ph.D.