Re: [Cz-L] Repeat of message about Cz. Jewish cemetery

  • AJS1PRES@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2006
      Dear All,

      I am wondering whether it would be a good idea to first find a company in or
      around Chernvtsi that can do the maintenance on an on going basis, and ask
      them to do the initial cleanup. It would seem to me that the two projects would
      go hand in hand, and the maintenance company would have a serious stake in
      doing the cleanup right from the beginning.
      I am not an expert on any of the items on Mimi's list, however I would be
      happy to be part of a committee to work on this. I believe as genealogists, it is
      the ultimate task we could perform for our ancestors who are buried in this
      cemetery.

      Bruce Wexler
      Jackson, NJ
    • cornel fleming
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2006
        hi all,,, can we please stop reinventing the wheel! several years ago we
        were in contact with a new york based organisation that has already cleaned
        up various eastern jewish cemeteries. our friend "naturesmom" started
        collecting money, then it all fizzled out. if we are really serious about
        cleaning up the czernowitz cemetery then we should re-establish contact with
        the experienced professionals and let them get on with it with our full
        support. regards to all....... cornel .

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 9, 2006

          > Dear All,
          >
          > I am wondering whether it would be a good idea to first find a company in or
          > around Chernvtsi that can do the maintenance on an on going basis, and ask
          > them to do the initial cleanup. It would seem to me that the two projects
          > would
          > go hand in hand, and the maintenance company would have a serious stake in
          > doing the cleanup right from the beginning.
          > I am not an expert on any of the items on Mimi's list, however I would be
          > happy to be part of a committee to work on this. I believe as genealogists, it
          > is
          > the ultimate task we could perform for our ancestors who are buried in this
          > cemetery.
          >
          > Bruce Wexler
          > Jackson, NJ

          Dear Bruce,

          Finding a company to do the maintenance is certainly part of what needs to
          be done, but maintenance would involve only cutting the weeds once every two
          or three weeks from May till the end of September. The initial cleanup
          requires the removal of bushes and at least the trimming of trees.
          Furthermore, at this point, we do not have anyone to contact and supervise a
          local company.

          I still think that:

          >> We need Information about:
          >>
          >> 1. The legal status of the cemetery.
          >> 2. Herbicides approved for use in the US and Europe, the legality of using
          >> them in the Ukraine.
          >> 3. Generally approved mechanisms of cemetery maintenance and preservation.
          >> 4. How to establish a fund and society for the clean-up and preservation
          >> of the cemetery. Whether it is advisable to establish a tax exempt fund.
          >> 5. Proper, prudent and legal means of managing the fund.
          >> 6. Existing organizations which may provide us with expertise and or money.
          >>
          >> Anyone who has knowledge of any of the needed information, or is willing to
          >> do the needed research, please get involved and volunteer to supply us with
          >> the needed information.

          I have received some information on points (4) and (5) and as soon as I have
          time, will send this to the Cz. - List.