goodbye

  • HARDY BREIER
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2006
      GOODBYE

      If not for the Reunion I would not have gone to
      Czernowitz.
      Mimi Taylor made me join and for this I am grateful.

      I enjoyed the discussion group and the polemics
      including many that should never have risen.
      I came to know many new people, nice people,
      people I never would have related to my home town.
      Are all these people , so different in appearance ,
      language and behaviour ,bound by a common background?
      Do I belong to all this ?
      Coming to consider -the first hand generation are a quite
      homogenuous group in looks and language.
      There were times I could distinguish a Czernowitzer by
      speech and pronunciation.
      In most cases I could also pinpoint the quarter of the
      town he came from and his social strata.
      But the following generations of offsprigs ,who have
      never lived together , have intermarried and whose
      link to Czernowitz are only their ancestors.
      What makes them come?
      Promises made to grandparents to pay a visit to the old town ?
      A grain of curiosity for the exotic?
      A visit to the cemetery looking up graves of ancestors-
      a task not always successfully accomplished.
      Looking up adresses , fulfilling promises made ,
      strolling the streets , that have seen better times,
      and then after returning home telling Omma:
      " Ich bin spazieren gegangen auf der Herrengasse".
      And Omma would shake her head and a smile
      would come to her lips as she remembers how
      she met Oppa on the same Herrengasse in 1927:

      " Was du nicht sagst".

      HARDY