[Fwd: Personal Introduction]

  • Gabriele Weissmann
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2006
      -------- Original-Nachricht --------
      Betreff: Personal Introduction
      Datum: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:44:32 +0200
      Von: Gabriele Weissmann <G.Weissmann@...>

      Hello, here I am , just back in Berlin, and having received ca. 140
      e-mails, almost updated with the latest informations and memories. Am
      subscribing again to the Czernowitz list, after a memorable trip to our
      common roots.
      I was born in Bucharest, Romania, in 1945. My parents, Ria Meerbaum came
      from a large family of 6 children, two boys and four sisters. Her
      father, Abraham had come to Czernowitz from Galicia as a young child
      from a very poor family, was taken apprentice in a dairy, and later
      opened his own dairy in the Dreifaltigkeitsgasse/Sfanta Treime. It was
      well-known for its butter and every day there was a basket in the dairy
      with 250 fresh bread-rolls for everyone to take.
      My grandfather managed to get orders from all hospitals in the city to
      deliver milk to them. He was doing well and in
      1938 he opened a milk-powder factory in Suczka, imported all machines
      from Denmark and the youngest son, Martin, was to be the manager. It
      cost almost a million lei and was the first of the kind in Bukowina or
      even in Romania. In 1940, when the Russians invaded the town, the
      factory was confiscated, all machines dismantled and taken to Russia.
      In 1940, under the Russion occupation, my grandfather obtained 3
      authorizations to stay in Czernowitz and not to be deported. He had a
      cousin also called Abraham and gave him one of the authorizations, which
      saved this cousin's and his family's life.
      My grand-father was also a cousin of Max Meerbaum, the father of Selma
      Meerbaum-Eisinger. Max used to come often to visit them, he was a thin,
      introverted person, unlike his brother who was handsome, well-built and
      My grandmother, who had been very beautiful in her youth, came also
      from a poor family of 10 children, her mother having been left a widow
      in World War I, with very little means. And yet, all the ten children
      grew up to be healthy, and nine survived the second World War.
      On my paternal side, my father came from a very different family, the
      Golds. Dr. Gold, a gynaecologist, of Czernowitz, married a very educated
      banquer's daughter from Lemberg. She was very interested in the arts,
      read and spoke several languages, sang and played the piano, and kept a
      "salon" where she encouraged young Czernowitz artists in their career.
      Margul-Sperber, the pianist ........
      They had a son, Edwin Richard Gold who became my father. He also studied
      medicine, in Vienna, did his assistantship in Switzerland,
      and returned naively to Czernowitz a short time before the Russians
      invaded the city. On one of his visits home, at the Cafe Habsburg, he
      met my mother, a
      sporty, good-looking young woman who came in tanned, in a white dress
      and noticing she was trying to get her jacket, he got up and helped her
      into it,
      asked her name, introducing himself, and so it started. Next morning a
      huge bouquet of flowers was delivered to the Meerbaum's home.
      My mother in her youth had one passion - sports - she was out all day,
      skating in winter skiing on the Cecina (1st prize in the Bukowina for 4
      swimming in summer, running, handball, was in the Jask and Maccabi
      sports-clubs, etc.
      All these beautiful memories were stopped when the war began in Czernowitz.
      I was born in Bucharest in 1945. Like many others, my parents came to
      Bucharest after the war. They tried all the time to emigrate and
      eventually we left
      for England in 1959. I had to learn English, but since we had spoken
      German at home, Romanian in school and outside, and with French lessons,
      it was not
      so difficult, just that pronounciation!!! Bristol, England, was a very
      different place from Bucharest, the mentality was so different, but we
      were happy to be in
      a really free world. My father an immunologist, who wrote the first book
      on immunology in Romania in 1957, helped build up the South-Western
      Transfusion Centre, then worked at the Bristol University. I then went
      to London to study (main subject-Spanish), and in 1967, after finishing
      my studies, I left England for Geneva, where I spent 5 happy years,
      working at various international organizations, including a year at the
      Sorry, part of the text is missing. Will correct.

      Gabriele Weissmann
      Kaiserdamm 18
      D- 14057 Berlin

      Tel./Fax: +49.30.321 15 38