Hotel Cheremosh

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 15, 2005

      Good news, I have just received a letter from the hotel Cheremosh;

      1. They are willing to give us a 15% discount for each room if
      we stay one week.

      2. They need to know the exact type of room and their number
      at least 2 weeks prior to the group's arrival.

      3) We may book the rooms individually, each one of us mentioning
      that we are part of "Chernowitz Reunion 2006".

      4) Payment will be in cash or by bank money transfer. They do
      not accept credit or debit cards.

      I still have not had a reply to my letters to the hotel Bukovyna.
      I am trying to get a Ukrainian speaking acquaintance to phone them
      on my behalf.

      If any of you speak Ukrainian or Russian, would you try and phone
      them as well?

      All the best,
      Mimi
    • Peter Medilanski
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 13, 2006
        Hi all, HELP!
        who can me tell me, please , the e-mail of the Hotel Cheremosh, in order to
        enable me to registrate?
        Thank you in advance and best regards.
        Peter Medilanski

      • mirtaylo@indiana.edu
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 15, 2006

          This is the Email address of the hotel Cheremosh:
          <cherem @...>.
          PEASE DO NOT MISSPELL THE NAME OF THE MANAGER.
          Her name is Galina KRIVOBOKOVA.

          You will have to pay in cash, unless you ask them in advance
          and they tell you it is OK to pay by some other method.

          There has been correspondence about this before,
          also about the availability of ATM machines in Chernivtsi.
          Please look at the old messages in the <czernowitz2006@yahoogroups.com>.

          Best regards,

          Mimi
        • alon
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 16, 2006
            Hi All,
            Does anyone know if there is a cellular network in the Cz are? Is it
            possible to use a mobile phone in Cz?
            Danny
          • Charles Rosner
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 16, 2006
              Yes, mobiles do work in Czernowitz: I used my french one over there, including for international calls both ways. Of course, the cost of calls was not negligeable, but in case of emergency...
              Regards,
              Charles

            • AJS1PRES@AOL.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 16, 2006
                Danny et al,
                During our stay I brought a "satellite phone" to Ukraine. I rented this phone
                from a company here in the states and was able to call the states using this
                phone. I was told by Verizon that my regular cell phone would not work in
                Ukraine. Perhaps things have changed in the last ten months. I would advise
                consulting your cell phone company.
                Before I left I had gotten the birth record of one of my great aunts, and
                thereby, the address of my great grandparents. We went to this house, and were
                welcomed in by total strangers, an incredible story in itself. At any rate, with
                the phone I had rented I was able to call my mother from her grandfather's
                house on the occasion of her 97th birthday!

                Bruce Wexler
                Jackson, NJ

              • mirtaylo@indiana.edu
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 16, 2006
                  I had a similar experience, not with the phone, but in visiting the
                  apartment in which my family and I lived during the war. A man seeing
                  us standing in front of the house in which I had lived and looking at
                  it, asked why we were interested in the house. When we told him, he
                  said he lived in the same apartment and invited us in. It later turned
                  out that one of his daughters
                  had married a Jewish man and was living in Israel.

                  Ukraine is a poor country and technologically underdeveloped, we are
                  likely to experience assorted annoyances, but also many act of
                  kindness, generosity and warm wellcome.

                  All the best,

                  Mimi
                  Quoting AJS1PRES@...:

                  > Danny et al,
                  > During our stay I brought a "satellite phone" to Ukraine. I rented this phone
                  > from a company here in the states and was able to call the states using this
                  > phone. I was told by Verizon that my regular cell phone would not work in
                  > Ukraine. Perhaps things have changed in the last ten months. I would advise
                  > consulting your cell phone company.
                  > Before I left I had gotten the birth record of one of my great aunts, and
                  > thereby, the address of my great grandparents. We went to this house,
                  > and were
                  > welcomed in by total strangers, an incredible story in itself. At any
                  > rate, with
                  > the phone I had rented I was able to call my mother from her grandfather's
                  > house on the occasion of her 97th birthday!
                  >
                  > Bruce Wexler
                  > Jackson, NJ

                • Charles Rosner
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 16, 2006
                    Hi everybody !
                    This is to answer Mimi�s request about my experience of "practical matters" on my visits to Chernivtsi.
                    I was posted in Kiev from June 1996 to June 1999, but didn�t find the time till my last weeks there to pay a visit to the place I was born, and which I left in 1945 at the age of four.
                    In 1999 there was no flight from Kiev to Chernivtsi, so I went by train when the opportunity finally arised. I was totally unpreprared: all I knew was the new name of the Morariugasse where my mother�s family lived at number 8b. But I didn�t know that the numbers had also changed, because that street has been coupled with another one� and I couldn�t find 8b.
                    I went again to Czernowitz in September 2003 (after reading Flo Heymann's book) and in April/May 2004. Both times I took a local guide who was acquainted with the chief archivist Maria � pity that she retired: she was very helpful, both in 2003 and 2004, and spoke very well German; the other Maria (who replaced her) speaks French and can be of help� if she smells an interest at no risk.
                    I found all possible information at the Central archives, but it should be clear to all of you that those archives are an exception in Bukowina: you will not find any interesting document in the smaller towns, probably because they have been taken and possibly destroyed by the Rumanians, either in 1918-20, after WWI, or during WWII � but I explained this already in one of my previous mails, if you read it.
                    I found the correct house of my family on the second trip. By the way, I now have a list (almost complete) of street names, with their correspondance during the Rumanian period as well as the Soviet and Ukrainian times. But I presume that you already have it on the List-site. Anyway, I will bring it along when I come, so that the newcomers can photocopy it.
                    At the cemetery I found that director, Yuri P. (I understand from Mimi�s mail, reacting to mine and Bruce's ones, that he has been fired since). He spoke French and was also acquainted with my guide, which made things easier for me. And, as I already mentioned in a previous mail, the registers available at the cemetery�s office go as far back as 1906.
                    On my first trip I stayed at the Cheremosh � horrible at that time. Later, I stayed at a private place � an apartment owned by Knaus (a German from Khazakstan who established there shortly before Ukrainian independence and organized a transport and tourism company), and I could pay there in Hryvnia at an interesting rate� that is not the case at the hotel.
                    What else? Yes, I could use my French mobile in 2003 and 2004.
                    So, you see, there is no real additional practical matter in my experience of Chernivtsi that can be of help to the group � I mean additional to what I or another group member have already mentionned in previous mails.
                    Starting from tomorrow, I will be away for a week or ten days. Upon my return, I should be able to definitively tell you that I will come in May� I sure hope so.
                    One last word for Hardy: I like your memories and the way you tell them, and I like your (decent) humour! Many thanks for it.
                    Regards to all,
                    Charles

                    mirtaylo@... wrote:

                    Dear Charles,

                    Thank you for the information.
                    I did not remember that you had been to Chernivtsi.
                    Would it be possible for you to write to the group
                    and tell everyone when you were in Chernivtsi and
                    what advice you have about any practical matters?

                    It would be helpful to many people.
                    All the best,