U.S. tax-exempt status

  • Renee Steinig
    Message 1 of 4 , May 29, 2006
      Hi Mimi and all,

      Hope you had a good trip home. We made our connection in Vienna and our
      luggage made it too, so we were happy. We have hardly had time to review and
      absorb all of our experiences, because we spent the weekend babysitting
      for the grandsons.

      Over the weekend we took great joy from usually ignored or even disdained
      American conveniences -- a fast breakfast with the kids at McDonald's; an
      11-mile ride (in 15 minutes!) to a WalMart, where we chose from a decadent
      array of toys; and of course, clean, odorless, fully functioning public
      bathrooms!

      Re forming a non-profit organization: I don't know that there's such a thing
      as a non-profit international organization. I was involved in filing for
      U.S. 501(c)(3) status many years ago for the Jewish Genealogy Society of
      Long Island. First we had to be incorporated, which our president's brother
      handled for us pro bono. I think New York State charged a $250 filing fee.
      Then Linda (the president) and I filled out the 35-page Internal Revenue
      Service application ourselves, using another organization's form as a model.
      We were very proud when the application was accepted. The process was
      time-consuming and a bit daunting, but obviously doable by a non-lawyer.

      The 501(c)(3) status makes donations to our society tax deductible in the
      U.S. and exempts us from payment of U.S. taxes on income. There are some
      other categories of tax-exempt organization but it's likely that the
      organization you'd like to create falls into the 501(c)(3) category.

      See www.irs.gov/charities/charitable/index.html for more information.

      Renee

      Renee Stern Steinig
      Dix Hills, New York, USA
      rsteinig@...

      Mimi Taylor wrote...

      Message 2 of 4 , May 29, 2006
        Miriam (Mimi) Taylor <mirtaylo@...>

        > Hi Mimi and all,
        >
        > Hope you had a good trip home. We made our connection in Vienna and our
        > luggage made it too, so we were happy. We have hardly had time to review and
        > absorb all of our experiences, because we spent the weekend babysitting
        > for the grandsons.
        >
        > Over the weekend we took great joy from usually ignored or even disdained
        > American conveniences -- a fast breakfast with the kids at McDonald's; an
        > 11-mile ride (in 15 minutes!) to a WalMart, where we chose from a decadent
        > array of toys; and of course, clean, odorless, fully functioning public
        > bathrooms!
        >
        > Re forming a non-profit organization: I don't know that there's such a thing
        > as a non-profit international organization. I was involved in filing for
        > U.S. 501(c)(3) status many years ago for the Jewish Genealogy Society of
        > Long Island. First we had to be incorporated, which our president's brother
        > handled for us pro bono. I think New York State charged a $250 filing fee.
        > Then Linda (the president) and I filled out the 35-page Internal Revenue
        > Service application ourselves, using another organization's form as a model.
        > We were very proud when the application was accepted. The process was
        > time-consuming and a bit daunting, but obviously doable by a non-lawyer.
        >
        > The 501(c)(3) status makes donations to our society tax deductible in the
        > U.S. and exempts us from payment of U.S. taxes on income. There are some
        > other categories of tax-exempt organization but it's likely that the
        > organization you'd like to create falls into the 501(c)(3) category.
        >
        > See www.irs.gov/charities/charitable/index.html for more information.
        >
        > Renee
        >
        > Renee Stern Steinig
        > Dix Hills, New York, USA
        > rsteinig@...
        >
        > Mimi Taylor wrote...
        >
        >> ... If any of you have knowledge about establishing a non-profit
        >> international organization and the proper and legal ways of collecting
        >> and disbursing money, I would value any advice.

        Dear Renee,

        My flight home was not uneventful, I arrived home minus one suitcase and had
        I not insisted in Vienna on taking my small suitcase on board, I would have
        arrived minus two suitcases. I got the missing suitcase a day later, so all
        is well. It is nice to be home, but I am sorry I did not have more time to
        explore the architecture of Czernowitz.

        As to the cemetery, maybe it is not necessary to create a nonprofit
        organization, but since large sums of money may eventually be involved, we
        certainly need to set this up legally and properly. We shall also need a
        number of people who are willing to put in a lot of work. At this point the
        work is mainly one of finding information and transmitting it to all of us
        in a concise form. Personally, I have a lot of work to catch up on, I also
        will be going away for some time, so I would like to ask that any one
        interested, please obtain the information and send it to the rest of us in
        digest form.

        Eventually I think that we should involve many more Czernowitzers,
        I intend to send a letter to Die Stimme, but even now, let's hold
        discussions about this topic, through the Cz. - List, which has far more
        members than the Yahoo group.

        Thank you Renee,

        Mimi
      • wolfgangs
        Message 3 of 4 , May 30, 2006
          Renee gave a fine description of the process of getting a non-profit status. The IRS form is long, but not terrifying since they cover every possible kind of non-profit organization so that most of the form requires no answers and is blank. It does take a lawyer and incorporation and so on.

          However, maybe here is an easier way that doing it on our own. Maybe we can find an existing non-profit organization that will be willing to administer such a fund, if we do all the work. If the non-profit is well run, they will ask for a small percentage of the money raised since they will incur expenses in helping us. When we get back to CA USA, I'll ask some people who know how such things are done. One of the people is the director of our temple's cemetery plot and another the boss of the local Federation. Will give you feedback on this around the 9th of June.

          Wolf
          Bucuresti, RO
> [...]

          explore the architecture of Czernowitz.

          As to the cemetery, maybe it is not necessary to create a nonprofit
          organization, but since large sums of money may eventually be involved, we
          certainly need to set this up legally and properly. We shall also need a
          number of people who are willing to put in a lot of work. At this point the
          work is mainly one of finding information and transmitting it to all of us
          in a concise form. Personally, I have a lot of work to catch up on, I also
          will be going away for some time, so I would like to ask that any one
          interested, please obtain the information and send it to the rest of us in
          digest form.

          Eventually I think that we should involve many more Czernowitzers,
          I intend to send a letter to Die Stimme, but even now, let's hold
          discussions about this topic, through the Cz. - List, which has far more

          Genealogy search Irish genealogy Genealogy dna testing

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 8 11:55 AM
            It just so happens I have made inquiries on this subject, for another
            organization I belong to. For everyone's information a US non-profit
            organization can have officers from anywhere in the world.

            Bruce Wexler