Miriam Lava's introduction

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2005

      I am sending you a copy of a letter I received from Miriam and Elan Lava.
      Miriam had tried to send this letter to our yahoo group, but had trouble
      with her computer, so I am sending it on her behalf.

      > A bit about myself, and my Buckovina roots, and more:
      >
      > My great-grandparents lived in Kiselitze, a small village, not far from
      > Vishnitz. My grandparents lived in Putila,( 95 Km. from Cz), where my father
      > and his sister were born. Their brothers and sisters lived in Cz. and
      > surrounding villages. Around 1912 my grandfatherand his family emmigrated to
      > Vienna, where I (1930) and my brother (1936) where born
      > Although I never visited Cz. In my life, I heard so many stories about the
      > city, that I feel as if I have been thereŠ.
      > ( Miriam ­ if you read Hebrew, I can fax you my father¹s memoiars from his
      > childhood years in Putila. If you are interested, please, let me have your fax
      > number).
      > It Is my father¹s Czernovitzer uncle, Bernhardt Rosner, to whom my family
      > probably owns its lives. Due to Bernhardt¹s generous financial help, my father
      > was able to obtain ³Kapital Zertifikate² for the four of us, and in Februar
      > 1939 we reached Eretz Israel, our home since then.
      > I am a retired librarian, and Elan, my husband ,( born in Buckarest)­ a
      > retired Engineer. We have 3 married sons, and 8 grandchildren.
      >
      > Do you remember, perhaps, the ³Finaly Affair². Which took place from 1945 till
      > 1953? (There is an item in the Enc. Judaica, 7th vol.) In short: The French
      > Catholic Church did not want to return the two Jewish brothers, both orphans,
      > since their parents died in Auschwitz, Robert and G¹erald Finaly, to the bosom
      > of their family after the war. It was my parents, beeing Robert¹s and
      > G¹erald¹s uncle and aunt, who did not give up, and even reached the French
      > high court of justice, who decided that the Church must return my cousins to
      > the family. Since 1953 ­ both grew up as my brothers.
      >
      > ( I think that this is a bit too long as an introducing letter to the whole
      > list, but I felt an urge to tell you also my maternal¹s family story, although
      > it has nothing to do with Cz.)

      So far, Miriam's story.

      Eventually it might be a good idea if we all followed suit,
      does anyone agree?

      Best regards,