Re: [czernowitz2006] The silence is almost eerie

  • wolfgang schaechter
    Message 1 of 6 , May 15, 2006
      Amen!

      Wolf
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Danny and Sharon Alon
      To: 'Simon Kreindler' ; 'CZERNOWITZ 2006 YAHOO LIST'
      Sent: Monday, 15 May, 2006 07:59
      Subject: RE: [czernowitz2006] The silence is almost eerie

      Dear Mr Kreindler, Dear all

      I feel pretty much the same as you do regarding our discussion group; It has
      indeed become an integral part of my life, of my daily routines. Updating my
      wife and my parents about its most interesting and hot news has enabled my
      entire immediate surroundings to share my enthusiasm. Discovering it on the
      internet has truly made (or makes, actually) a dream come true, for who
      knows when and how I would have otherwise had the opportunity to take a
      break from my hectic life here and travel to Cz, to see how a myth looks
      like in reality... and together with so many others who feel quite the same.
      I sometimes still think our whole journey is an hallucination, being far too
      unique and incredible to be real. Than a phone call from my father,
      discussing the weather conditions in Cz this time of year or discussing some
      other extremely practical issues makes me realize it is going to happen, and
      in only 3 days now...

      I will always be indebted to those who envisioned such a reunion, planned
      it, organized it and finally make it happen. You defy the wildest
      imagination.

      Danny Alon

      Message 2 of 6 , May 15, 2006
        Dear Mimi
        although I'm not going with you (this time) I've recently been to
        Poland to see the concentration camps and other places of loss. I
        went as a small group leader. I think the journey was lifechanging
        for many of us and the horrors were almost beyond words to imagine.
        For me Auschwitz especially where my namesake Ethel was murdered. I
        went with 70 Australians, survivors, 2nd and 3rd generation and like
        Danny I was so grateful for a group to go with and for the amazing
        organization that enabled me to go where I wouldn't have alone and to
        somehow reclaim something previously lost to me. I'm not sure who
        else is organising this trip but I'm sure there are many blessings
        coming your way. To go to sites of loss and trauma it's wonderful to
        have a group to cushion you. Although you'll be revisiting some good
        prewar memories you'll also be surrounded by the ghosts of the
        murdered and frightened and I think your journey is a homage to them
        as well as to the survivors.
        I'm not a religious person but send my blessings with you all and
        continue to travel vicariously with you.
        Love
        Ethel

        Ethel Tillinger
        35 Manningtree Road