Wass Du nicht sagst.doc

  • HARDY BREIER
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 12, 2006
      Wass Du nicht sagst ?

      Understand ?
      No? I don't blame you .
      German ? The words are Deutsch but no German of Munchen or Berlin would get the meaning.
      Only a Czernowitzer of old vintage will know what I mean.
      Something like " what do you know " but not quite.
      Sometimes expressing wonder ,sometimes ironic , sometimes rethoric ,sometimes in astonishment , sometimes sarcastic , sometimes caustic:
      "Have you heard, the young Pomeranz of the second floor, has a new lover ."
      " No, not the "Stauber" , the young one, the " Krimme"!
      " Was du nicht sagst ?" ( astonishment).

      " So ,you think we insulted you and will not come again ?"
      " Was du nicht sagst " ( ironic) .

      " This war is going to last a long time".
      " Was du nicht sagst ?" ( sarcastic ) A groisser Chuhem .

      What will happen to Czernowitzerisch after we're gone ?
      " Es wird gehen floeten !"
      " Was du nicht sagst "

      HARDY

    • HARDY BREIER
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 13, 2006
        DEAR JEROME,
        I AM NO BIG AUTHORITY IN ENGLISH BUT "YOU DON'T SAY "
        ISN'T ENGLISH EITHER.( IN MY OPINION)
        LIKE " WAS DU NICHT SAGST " THEY BOTH COME FROM YIDDISH.
        WE HAVE ENGLISH LINGUISTS IN THE GROUP, LETS HEAR
        WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY
        HARDY
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 14, 2006
          The was "Du nicht sagst" survives with both exclamation and interrogatory
          marks and is a manifestation of the incredulous attitude most of that
          generation of Czernowitzers.had.

          Every Viennese would of course be at home with that idiom, be it because of
          the Yiddish that was absorbed into local German or because the
          expressiveness of the words makes the meaning of the phrase plain to most .

          The (in general) denying nicht, instead of just a straight affirmation or
          question, has here the function of stressing the meaning again, it
          re-doubles its semantic content. That sounds Jewish enough - the French
          have a somewhat similar use of the ne that together with pas, instead of
          canceling out make a strong denial.

          We shall ask our hosts - may be there exists something similar in
          Ukrainian or Russian?

          Berti
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 17, 2006

            > The was "Du nicht sagst" survives with both exclamation and interrogatory
            > marks and is a manifestation of the incredulous attitude most of that
            > generation of Czernowitzers.had.
            >
            > Every Viennese would of course be at home with that idiom, be it because of
            > the Yiddish that was absorbed into local German or because the
            > expressiveness of the words makes the meaning of the phrase plain to most .
            >
            > The (in general) denying nicht, instead of just a straight affirmation or
            > question, has here the function of stressing the meaning again, it
            > re-doubles its semantic content. That sounds Jewish enough - the French
            > have a somewhat similar use of the ne that together with pas, instead of
            > canceling out make a strong denial.
            >
            > We shall ask our hosts - may be there exists something similar in
            > Ukrainian or Russian?
            >
            > Berti

            "Was du nicht sagst" may not have a Ukrainian or Russian equivalent, but it
            does have a Romanian one; "Ce mai spui?" - what more are you saying?
            This is used in the same multiple meanings. Romanian has a lot of humorous,
            ironic and sarcastic expressions.

            Mimi
          • Gabriele Weissmann
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 18, 2006
              The philological/philosophical discussion is highly interesting and
              exciting, since we all have our opinions but I have to add one
              correction - in Romanian the correct expression is "NU MAI SPUNE!" and
              not/not "ce mai spui". As to the "Was du nicht sagst" have never seen it
              with a question mark, but with an exclamation mark.
              As to "You don't say", one can paraphrase it with the slang "no
              kidding!" to make life easier.
              Looking forward to such discussions in Czernowitz!
              Gabriele

              --
              Gabriele Weissmann
              Kaiserdamm 18